automount message "map auto.master: Local domain name not...

I am in the process of building new SLES 12 SP3 hosts on System z and have encountered a message that I wish to eliminate. Messages are issued when command ‘systemctl status autofs.service’ is run. These new servers were brought to a current maintenance level in January 2019. The messages are not issued on the SLES 12 SP3 servers that were brought to a current maintenance level in October 2018.

Maintenance was applied to the older and newer servers using zypper command ‘zypper -n path --date=2018-10-06’. I was under the impression that specifying the --date parameter would cause the newer hosts to be at the same patch level (i.e. the same rpm’s installed) as the older servers. I found, via a different forum post, that zypper will ignore the date parameter if newer patches are deemed critical (I forgot what they used for the terminology).

Messages issued on the newer SLES 12 SP3 hosts. The four messages at the bottom of the window are what I am inquiring about.

[CODE]app-wfr21-830:/etc # systemctl status autofs.service
? autofs.service - Automounts filesystems on demand
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/autofs.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2019-01-15 12:09:38 CST; 2min 54s ago
Docs: man:automount(8)
man:autofs(5)
Process: 19848 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/automount $AUTOFS_OPTIONS -p /var/run/automount.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 19851 (automount)
Tasks: 4 (limit: 512)
CGroup: /system.slice/autofs.service
±19851 /usr/sbin/automount -p /var/run/automount.pid

Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 systemd[1]: Stopped Automounts filesystems on demand.
Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 systemd[1]: Starting Automounts filesystems on demand…
Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 automount[19851]: lookup_init:136: lookup(yp): map auto.master: Local domain name not set
Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 systemd[1]: Started Automounts filesystems on demand.[/CODE]

Messages issued on the older SLES 12 SP3 hosts.

[CODE]app-wfr21i-830:~ # systemctl status autofs.service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/autofs.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-12-14 13:43:38 CST; 1 months 1 days ago
Process: 1695 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/automount $AUTOFS_OPTIONS -p /var/run/automount.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1711 (automount)
±1711 /usr/sbin/automount -p /var/run/automount.pid

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.[/CODE]

The /etc/auto.nfs file is the same on both of the above hosts:

[CODE]#

This is an automounter map and it has the following format

key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location

Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

#cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

the following entries are samples to pique your imagination

#linux -ro,soft,intr ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
#boot -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hda1
#floppy -fstype=auto :/dev/fd0
#floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#e2floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#jaz -fstype=ext2 :/dev/sdc1
#removable -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hdd
app-zlx01-090 /nfs -fstype=nfs,ro,soft,intr,nosuid,nodev,tcp,retry=10,rsize=32768 app-zlx01-090.xxxxx.int:/srv/data/nfs /oracle -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr,nosuid,nodev,tcp,retry=10,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 app-zlx01-090.xxxxx.int:/opt/oracle
[/CODE]

Also, the following files are the same on the older and newer SLES 12 SP3 hosts:

/etc/defaultdomain - empty /etc/sysconfig/autofs

The following is in the ‘ps-efH’ output on the older host but not the newer one:
/sbin/rpcbind -w -f

The following is in the ‘ps-efH’ output on the newer host but not the older one:
/usr/sbin/rpc.gssd -D

The only way that I found (also from a Forum post) that eliminates the messages is to remove ‘+auto.master’ from /etc/auto.master. I would rather find a different solution as I may need this functionality in the future.

I am not using yp, so I think that the newer rpm’s are causing this.

Is this a possible bug or is there a way to eliminate the messages?

Harley

x0500hl,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot…

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

Hi Harley,

[QUOTE=x0500hl;56187]I am in the process of building new SLES 12 SP3 hosts on System z and have encountered a message that I wish to eliminate. Messages are issued when command ‘systemctl status autofs.service’ is run. These new servers were brought to a current maintenance level in January 2019. The messages are not issued on the SLES 12 SP3 servers that were brought to a current maintenance level in October 2018.
[…]
Messages issued on the newer SLES 12 SP3 hosts. The four messages at the bottom of the window are what I am inquiring about.

[CODE]app-wfr21-830:/etc # systemctl status autofs.service
Active: active (running) since Tue 2019-01-15 12:09:38 CST; 2min 54s ago
Process: 19848 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/automount $AUTOFS_OPTIONS -p /var/run/automount.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 19851 (automount)
±19851 /usr/sbin/automount -p /var/run/automount.pid

Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 systemd[1]: Stopped Automounts filesystems on demand.
Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 systemd[1]: Starting Automounts filesystems on demand…
Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 automount[19851]: lookup_init:136: lookup(yp): map auto.master: Local domain name not set
Jan 15 12:09:38 app-wfr21-830 systemd[1]: Started Automounts filesystems on demand.[/CODE]

Messages issued on the older SLES 12 SP3 hosts.

[CODE]app-wfr21i-830:~ # systemctl status autofs.service
Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-12-14 13:43:38 CST; 1 months 1 days ago
Process: 1695 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/automount $AUTOFS_OPTIONS -p /var/run/automount.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1711 (automount)
±1711 /usr/sbin/automount -p /var/run/automount.pid

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.[/CODE][/QUOTE]

Please note that the journal wrapped since last service start, so the message may have been there during service start but simply now unavailable.

[QUOTE=x0500hl;56187]
Is this a possible bug or is there a way to eliminate the messages?[/QUOTE]

What 's in /etc/HOSTNAME on app-wfr21-830? If it’s just the short name, try setting hostname to FQDN (“hostname app-wfr21-830.company.com”) and restart the service. If that helps, change /etc/HOSTNAME to FQDN to persist.

Regards,
J