autoyast pxe

hi,
we configure with autoyast2 the autoyast profile within config.xml on server side.on target side we use pxe in order to install the suse.on server side yast play a role at a certain time in this installation.right?

tnx so much,
marius

Hi Marius,

there are three servers involved (you might call it “services”, but they can be running on three distinct machines) during PXE client installation:

• the DHCP server, handing out client IP addresses and the “pointers” to the TFTP server
  • the TFTP server, where the client loads the initial boot stuff for installation
  • the code server (can be FTP, NFS, HTTP,…) where all the installed RPMs are loaded from

At no time during installation, YaST on any of these servers is invoked nor plays a role.

Regards,
Jens

Hi,
So in NIC prom are the dhcp,tfyp,dns protocols.right?

The following is correct?
we configure with autoyast2 the autoyast profile within config.xml on server side.on target side we use pxe in order to install the suse.

Hi tanislavm,

So in NIC prom are the dhcp,tfyp,dns protocols.right?

in order to support PXE, the NIC does have to have support for DHCP and TFTP. DNS ist not required for this, AFAIR you specify only IP addresses of the TFTP server in the DHCP response.

we configure with autoyast2 the autoyast profile within config.xml on server side.on target side we use pxe in order to install the suse.

My generic answer is “you create your autoyast configuration file any way you want, put it on a TFTP server and provide DHCP and access to the installation repositories as required. Once done, you can use PXE to install SLES on a new server.”

Have you had a look at the AutoYaST documentation I referenced in your other thread on this subject? Chapter 7.2.3 covers PXE.

Maybe you should describe the aim of your questions and stick to a single thread, as all three current threads cover the same general topic, installing per AutoYaST via network. I’m not sure what information you’re actually after, in excess to what is given in the documentation.

Regards,
Jens

hi,
tnx so much,please close it.