Backup for SAP HANA

Currently running SAPA HANA on SLES 12 SP4 using XFS. The application is hosted on IBM Power 980, and the storage is sitting in a IBM Flashsystem 9100. File system is XFS.

My client to perform a backup on the HANA database that requires with very challenging RPO (< 2Hours), as such we are leveraging in snapshot based protection instead of backint, and leverage on off host to backup using a backup proxy server. The backup application will perform a snapshot from the storage array and mount to the proxy host, and backup the database as files.

My question here is whether the snapshot LUN, which had been formatted as XFS in IBM Power systems can be mounted on a Intel X64 instead of Power series? OS is also build will be SLES 12 SP4.

Will there be any problem with this setup?

Hi,

the filesystem XFS will not be an issue regarding the mount on an Intel X64 host. The application data will may be different because the installer of HANA is different and must fit the different platforms. I’m not sure if the data are usable from an Intel based HANA installation. May SAP can answer this question.

Regards Bernd

Use Microfocus Data Protector with SAP Hana Integration…