BIND domain name resolution on SLES have entry restrictions?

SLES BIND domain 10 SP4 and 11 SP1 has an entry on the parse restrictions?
Require official documentation or website link to confirm.
Thank You!

Hi andyleigood,

SLES BIND domain 10 SP4 and 11 SP1 has an entry on the parse restrictions?

if you’re asking if named from SLES10SP4 and SLES11SP1 does have restriction on i.e. valid labels - yes, they do. But nothing “uncommon” (in terms of “SLES-specific”).

Require official documentation or website link to confirm.

These are standard BIND versions, except for possible bug fix back-ports. Both the accompanying documentation and the ISC web site contents apply.

If you’d be more specific on which limits you’re after, we might provide a more detailed response :wink:

Regards,
Jens

Thank you Jens.
I mean this.
Use SLES 10 SP4 or SLES 11 SP1 build a DNS server, a limited number of resolved it? For example parsed 10,000 times after reaching the maximum?

Hi,

If you are concerned about the maximum number of entries in a zone file?

There is no limit.

You are limited only by the amount of memory available to named, as it stores the zone data in RAM. I have seen zones with >> 100,000 A records, for example.

– Bob

Thank you Bob.
I got it.

Hi Bob,

[QUOTE=Bob-O-Rama;17811]Hi,

If you are concerned about the maximum number of entries in a zone file?

There is no limit.

You are limited only by the amount of memory available to named, as it stores the zone data in RAM. I have seen zones with >> 100,000 A records, for example.

– Bob[/QUOTE]

just a side note: Your information mostly applies to the default zone file back-end - there are other back-ends, that i.e. retrieve records per query from databases or directories. Then you have a much smaller memory footprint for large zones, albeit you need to make sure the queries are quick enough to handle the specific number of queries.

Regards
Jens