Blank screen Lab excercise

NO!!! :’(

Hi @Ralf

I’m just another student in this SUSE Academy, but I’ll try to give a few more tips, regarding the blank area in the Lab environment: are you using any kind of Adblocker / JavaScript blocker(s) extensions/add-ons in your Google Chrome web browser? If you are, then I suggest that you temporarily disable those extensions (or maybe all extensions) and try to access the web page again.

If simply disabling browser extensions doesn’t work, maybe try to install a Portable version of Google Chrome in a different folder and then run that Portable version of Chrome WITHOUT authenticating/synchronizing with your Google account (so it doesn’t get your browser extensions) and then try to access the Lab environment using that browser.

In case that also doesn’t work… then, maybe you’re accessing the Lab Environment from your Corporate environment and some network component of your corporate environment (proxy, firewall, IPS/IDS …) may be blocking some thing? Have you tried to access at home to see if it works there?

Other than that, I believe you have already followed the suggestions that appear in the “Blank screen on live lab environment” document that is linked to from the “Important Academy Information” section of the course home page , right? I’m referring to the PDF with the following instructions:

Blank screen on live lab environment

If you see a blank terminal window, there are several possible reasons for this, most
of them originating with the client browser. In that case, hitting the Reset button
should NOT be your first course of action. Instead, what you should be trying is:
• First, simply refresh your browser. 9 times out of 10, that should bring the
terminal right back.
• If that doesn’t work, close your browser tab, wait about 5 minutes, and then
reopen. This will automatically suspend, and then resume your lab environment.
• If none of that gets your environment back, that’s an indication that the lab
environment’s network connectivity is broke (and again, there are several
possible reasons for that).
• That would be the point where you do an actual Reset

I hope this helps. Please, keep us posted.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your hints and infos. In the meantime I found the reason for my problems, it’s related to our Corporate Forcepoint proxy script, which I can’t change unfortunately. As workarpund I will use my private PC on my private home network, which works fine.
Regards,
Ralf

Thank you for the update.

Hi @Ralf ,
I’m glad that you got the issue sorted out :slight_smile: Thanks for explaining that the issue you were having was due to a component in your Corporate network environment (in your case, a proxy script). That information may be useful to other fellow students and/or even to SUSE, as maybe SUSE would like to update the “Blank screen on live lab environment” PDF document to also account for the possibility of some Corporate IT environment components (proxies, firewalls, IPS/IDS, antivirus…) causing the “Blank screen” issue? @Academy_Instructor : what do you think about this suggestion?

I will take that under advisement. Thank you.