Can Monitor Nodes be VMs?

[{“insert”:"Hello,
We are migrating from RHEL CEPH to Suse Enterprise Storage. Our existing RHEL Ceph had 10 storage nodes and a monitor node VM. To maintain the same capacity, I wanted to check whether it is possible to make monitor nodes as VMs in Suse Enterprise Storage.
As per product documentation, SES minimum configuration is 4 storage nodes and 3 monitor nodes. Is it possible to configure my 10 existing nodes as storage nodes and deploy 3 VMs which I configure as Mon nodes.
Another question: the documentation says we need 4x 10 GbE n\/w interfaces. Is it possible to configure the management and ILO network on 1 GbE interfaces?

Thanks
"}]

[{“insert”:"Hi,
instead of using VMs for the MONs I would suggest to colocate the three MONs with OSD nodes if you can’t provide dedicated hardware MON nodes. The admin node (salt-master) can be a virtual machine, though.
"}]

[{“insert”:"Thanks, so basically we can those OSD nodes as both storage and monitor nodes?
And about the network ports, is it ok to use 1GbE interfaces for management and ILO or there will be issues?
"}]

Thanks, so basically we can those OSD nodes as both storage and monitor nodes?
Yes, the MON services don’t require many resources and be co-located with OSDs, although that might not be the supported or desired way, but it surely is possible.

And about the network ports, is it ok to use 1GbE interfaces for management and ILO or there will be issues?
For iLO and the management network 1GbE is sufficient, also for the public network if you have it separated from the cluster network.