Cannot update SLES 11 SP3

I have been working with SLES since SP1 and I have not seen this issue before:

[CODE]# zypper --plus-repo dir:///data/appliance/updater/work/update.repo update --no-recommends sles-release
Adding repository ‘dir:///data/appliance/updater/work/update.repo’ [done]
Repository ‘dir:///data/appliance/updater/work/update.repo’ successfully added
Enabled: Yes
Autorefresh: Yes
GPG check: Yes
URI: dir:///data/appliance/updater/work/update.repo

Retrieving repository ‘dir:///data/appliance/updater/work/update.repo’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘dir:///data/appliance/updater/work/update.repo’ cache [done]
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Resolving package dependencies…

Problem: product:SUSE_SLES-11.3-1.138.x86_64 requires sles-release = 11.3-1.138, but this requirement cannot be provided
deleted providers: sles-release-11.3-1.138.x86_64
Solution 1: deinstallation of product:SUSE_SLES-11.3-1.138.x86_64
Solution 2: do not install sles-release-11.3-1.201.x86_64
Solution 3: break product:SUSE_SLES-11.3-1.138.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/c] (c):[/CODE]

I’m not even sure what a product means to zypper. I guess I need to update my product first. How do I do that?

Some more information. We build our own zypper repository that contains packages from our SMT server and our own packages. I believe that we are missing meta-data in our zypper repository to trigger the product update.

After a day of meditating and reverse-engineering the metadata on our SLES11_SP3_Updates_Repo, I was able to resolve this problem by using modifyrepo to install the products.xml.gz and updateinfo.xml.gz from SLES11_SP3_Updates_Repo into our update repo. Our SLES appliances now update correctly.

Hi jayvi,

thank you for reporting back your results - and congrats to solving the problem, since obviously no-one here was able to come up with suggestions in time :-[

Regards,
Jens

I resolved my metadata issue with the following procedure.
Reference Document ID:7013434

1. Get the following files from the SLE 11 SP2 or SP3 Media (the iso or DVD that matches the version of your system):

The versions shown are for SLE 11 SP2 but the SP3 files are in the same location.
libgpg-error0-1.10-0.7.29.s390x.rpm
libgpg-error0-32bit-1.10-0.7.29.s390x.rpm
suse-build-key-1.0-907.42.35.noarch.rpm

1. Copy them to the server and do the following:

rpm -Uvh libgpg-error0*
rpm -e --nodeps suse-build-key
rpm -Uvh suse-build-key-1.0-907.42.35.noarch.rpm (replacing the SP3 version if necessary)

1. run zypper ref

Hi Jayvi,

I ran into the same problem. Would you mind explaining how you got the products.xml and updateinfo.xml metadata into your repository?

Kind regards,
Javier