Changing HostName on SLED 11 SP2

I have been working on an installation of SLED 11 SP2 for a lab group wanting to do research. When I change the host name through the GUI-based tool in the YaST Control Center, then reboot to see if the name change is going to stay, most applets in the YaST Control Center no longer work. When I click on them, I get “busy” spinning wheel mouse point icon, then nothing happens. I can still use YaST from Terminal/command line, but the GUI in the Control Center breaks.

I have seen this on more than one computer and after at least a dozen re-installations it continues to happen. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what can be done about this?

[QUOTE=sslattery11;9147]I have been working on an installation of SLED 11 SP2 for a lab group wanting to do research. When I change the host name through the GUI-based tool in the YaST Control Center, then reboot to see if the name change is going to stay, most applets in the YaST Control Center no longer work. When I click on them, I get “busy” spinning wheel mouse point icon, then nothing happens. I can still use YaST from Terminal/command line, but the GUI in the Control Center breaks.

I have seen this on more than one computer and after at least a dozen re-installations it continues to happen. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what can be done about this?[/QUOTE]

Haven’t seen this with SLES 11 SPx.

Curious though… have you checked /etc/hosts to make sure it’s not an old remnant in there causing delays in the host resolving itself wrongfully?

-Willem

[QUOTE=sslattery11;9147]When I change the host name through the GUI-based tool in the YaST Control Center, then reboot to see if the name change is going to stay, most applets in the YaST Control Center no longer work. When I click on them, I get “busy” spinning wheel mouse point icon, then nothing happens. I can still use YaST from Terminal/command line, but the GUI in the Control Center breaks.
[/QUOTE]

Never seen that when I rename systems. How, specifically, are you changing the name? It should be Yast–>Network Devices–>Network Settings–>Hostname/DNS tab… and Bob’s your uncle. When you look at /etc/hosts what does it look like? Does the prompt in the shell reflect the new host name?

– Bob

[QUOTE=sslattery11;9147]I have been working on an installation of SLED 11 SP2 for a lab group wanting to do research. When I change the host name through the GUI-based tool in the YaST Control Center, then reboot to see if the name change is going to stay, most applets in the YaST Control Center no longer work. When I click on them, I get “busy” spinning wheel mouse point icon, then nothing happens. I can still use YaST from Terminal/command line, but the GUI in the Control Center breaks.

I have seen this on more than one computer and after at least a dozen re-installations it continues to happen. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what can be done about this?[/QUOTE]

CHECK → yast → network settings → global options → if “Traditional Method with ifup” set or switch to the option. retry your efforts to change hostname.