Connecting to Samba Shares from Server 2016

I have recently upgraded a VM from SLES 12 SP3 to SLES 15 SP1.

I have enabled samba shares and disabled the firewall.

I have then created a shared folder.

When opening File Explorer from a 2016 Server VM on the same vLAN I am unable to browse to the share. \\SERVER\Share

I have read through several threads on this forum and other forums to no avail. I have replicated the content of the smb.conf file from a VM that works to no avail either.

I can both ping the IP and hostname of the Linux server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=flcRF;59620]I have recently upgraded a VM from SLES 12 SP3 to SLES 15 SP1.

I have enabled samba shares and disabled the firewall.

I have then created a shared folder.

When opening File Explorer from a 2016 Server VM on the same vLAN I am unable to browse to the share. \\SERVER\Share

I have read through several threads on this forum and other forums to no avail. I have replicated the content of the smb.conf file from a VM that works to no avail either.

I can both ping the IP and hostname of the Linux server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
Likely the samba version (newer) and the Win client version (older). AFAIK you need to turn on password protected sharing, but if only temporary access required consider winscp and use ssh instead?

Does windows have a smbclient you can run in a cmd window along with adding some debug to see what it’s borking on?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;59624]

Does windows have a smbclient you can run in a cmd window along with adding some debug to see what it’s borking on?[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Really appreciate the initial response. I can see that smbclient is installed as a feature on the Server 2016 VM however I’m not au fait with being able to run smbclient via a cmd prompt in debug. would you be able to offer up some more pointers?

Regards,

[QUOTE=flcRF;59627]Hello,

Really appreciate the initial response. I can see that smbclient is installed as a feature on the Server 2016 VM however I’m not au fait with being able to run smbclient via a cmd prompt in debug. would you be able to offer up some more pointers?

Regards,[/QUOTE]
Hi
It should be the same as linux…

smbclient -L ip.address -d 3

See if you can get a list of shares.