Consumer level software for SLED?

I had a trial of SLED, and enjoyed the refinement. My computer is both for work, as well as enjoyment. My only caveat about SLED (say vs. openSUSE) was the lack of OSS software that I’m accustomed to. Things like just being able to keep an up to date version of Firefox, or Installing Chrome. Is there any solution for this with SLED that doesn’t involve me acquiring a college degree?

I’m particularly interested now since openSUSE seems to be getting more unstable, and the move of all distros to Gnome 3 is an unacceptable loss of functionality. KDE was far too unstable to be usable as a work environment in the version shipped with openSUSE 12.1.

Basically, I want the stability and refinement of SLED but for my personal as well as my work desktop.

[QUOTE=Shadowolf7;3556]I had a trial of SLED, and enjoyed the refinement. My computer is both for work, as well as enjoyment. My only caveat about SLED (say vs. openSUSE) was the lack of OSS software that I’m accustomed to. Things like just being able to keep an up to date version of Firefox, or Installing Chrome. Is there any solution for this with SLED that doesn’t involve me acquiring a college degree?

I’m particularly interested now since openSUSE seems to be getting more unstable, and the move of all distros to Gnome 3 is an unacceptable loss of functionality. KDE was far too unstable to be usable as a work environment in the version shipped with openSUSE 12.1.

Basically, I want the stability and refinement of SLED but for my personal as well as my work desktop.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, Firefox is able to update itself automatically. The softare detects whether a new version is available and gives the choice to process the update.
As for Chrome, there was a repository that can be added for SLED.

What kind of other free software do you need ? My personal point of view is the lack of codecs/multimedia packages in SLED 11. You can bypass these limitations by buying Fluendo codecs (28 €). Otherwise, you need to install the codecs manually.

SLED currently includes Firefox 10 Extended Support Release and will presumably do so until Mozilla cease to support it at which point it’ll get updated. If you want to always have the very latest version of Firefox you could just down the tarball from Mozilla, unpack it to your home directory and run it from there. It’ll keep itself up to date.
Alternatively there’s a repo at http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/SLE_11/ which you could add. Doing so will replace a bunch of packages provided in SLED though and will not be supported by Novell/SUSE.

Google Chrome stopped working on SLED as of version 13. A thread was recently started about it here.

As for other software, it depends what you want. Some it you might be able to find at the openSUSE Build Service http://software.opensuse.org/search

Does SUSE labs work with Google on this problem ? Chrome is the 3rd most used Web Browser and its market share is constantly incresing. Why not fix this issue ?

Hi
They won’t backport their code to work with older libraries as
indicated here
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=93054#c9

When it segfaults, run the command dmesg and it indicates the issue is
with libkrb5support.so.0.1.

3rd most popular and 1st at being invasive… :wink:

On install it add’s it’s own repository and a cron job without advising
the end user…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 20:07, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU