control core file creation for service started with xinetd

Application Core Files in SUSE Linux
is a nice HOWTO on controlling core file creation.

I need a tip on how to control core file creation for service started with xinetd.

I found systemd: get core dumps for service started by xinetd, but I believe that is not relevant for SLES 11.

Who can offer help?

Regards, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I need a tip on how to control core file creation for service started with xinetd.

if you need per-service settings that you cannot control via /etc/security/limits.conf entries, you might try to create a wrapper script that determines and sets the wanted limits before starting the actual daemon.

Maybe there’s a more elegant way to handle this… but right now, the above is all I have to offer :wink:

Regards,
Jens

Jens,

interesting suggestion, but the limits.conf appear not to apply to services started by xinetd, as my tests showed.

xinetd has some own limits (rlimit_as etc.), but non for core file creation.

So the only way would be wrapping scripts, which I actually tried to avoid.

Regards, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

[QUOTE=swadm;26235]Jens,

interesting suggestion, but the limits.conf appear not to apply to services started by xinetd, as my tests showed.[/QUOTE]

ups - good to know, probably that file is only used by pam_limits.so.

[QUOTE=swadm;26235]xinetd has some own limits (rlimit_as etc.), but non for core file creation.

So the only way would be wrapping scripts, which I actually tried to avoid.[/QUOTE]

now that’s something I can fully understand!

Regards,
Jens