SLES 12.5 Core file location for application

We have an in-house application that was written in C++. It used to write its application core files to an application log location. We are trying to deploy on SLES 12.5 and core files seem to be going to /var/lib/systemd/coredump. How do I override that for this application?

@bbellrose Hi, not sure you can with systemd, have a look at coredump.conf you either have none, journal or external which puts in /var/lib/systemd/coredump location for use with cordumpctl.
You could try a config file down in /etc/systemd/coredump.conf.d/ based on /etc/systemd/coredump.conf

There is no coredump.conf. Ok, so core files controlled by systemd now in SLES12. I will see if I can find in documentation how to configure.

Hmm, this is not terribly convenient. I used to be able to get a coredump of an application in a custom log directory without having to make a system wide change however, now it appears that is not possibe:

/etc/systemd/coredump.conf with the Storage option:

Storage=none—core dumps are logged in the journal, but not stored. This is useful to minimize collecting and storing sensitive information, for example for General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance.

Storage=external—cores are stored in /var/lib/systemd/coredump

Storage=journal—cores are stored in the systemd journal