Default environment still "Initializing..." after adding two hosts

I’m trying to figure out how to use the Rancher storage service. I’m having some trouble, but it might just be my lack of understanding (docs could be better). But it might be that my environment isn’t fully initialized. In “Manage Environments”, the default environment still shows a State of “Initializing”, and in “Infrastructure Stacks”, I see that “healthcheck” and “scheduler” are shown to be “Initializing”. Why is this? What can I do about it? Is my environment not functioning properly in this state?

Update: Lots of seems to work despite those services that are still “Initializing…”. I have storage via AWS EBS seemingly working fine. The big problem I have now is getting my services exposed to the outside world. This seems to be done via the creation of a load balancer service, but when I do this, I again get either an “Initializing…” state for the LB or worse, an error state. It seems straightforward, and yet I can’t get any LB to become healthy.

I backed up and tried going through the “CREATE A MULTI-CONTAINER APPLICATION” tutorial in the Quick Start Guide using the UI. I had the same problem. The two main services, ‘database’ and ‘web’, become Active right away. The LB, however, never gets out of the “Initializing…” state. The logs for the LB service look like this:

[admin@rancherhost1 ~]$ sudo docker logs r-example1-letschatapplb-1-3babcbfb
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:11Z” level=info msg=“KUBERNETES_URL is not set, skipping init of kubernetes controller”
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:11Z” level=info msg=“Starting Rancher LB service”
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:11Z” level=info msg=“LB controller: rancher”
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:11Z” level=info msg=“LB provider: haproxy”
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:11Z” level=info msg=“starting rancher controller”
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:11Z” level=info msg=“Healthcheck handler is listening on :10241”
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:13Z” level=info msg=" – starting haproxy\n * Starting haproxy haproxy\n …done.\n"
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:13Z” level=info msg=" – reloading haproxy config with the new config changes\n * Reloading haproxy haproxy\n[WARNING] 119/170913 (52) : config : ‘option forwardfor’ ignored for proxy ‘default’ as it requires HTTP mode.\n[WARNING] 119/170913 (54) : config : ‘option forwardfor’ ignored for proxy ‘default’ as it requires HTTP mode.\n …done.\n"
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:52Z” level=info msg=" – reloading haproxy config with the new config changes\n * Reloading haproxy haproxy\n[WARNING] 119/170952 (75) : config : ‘option forwardfor’ ignored for proxy ‘default’ as it requires HTTP mode.\n[WARNING] 119/170952 (77) : config : ‘option forwardfor’ ignored for proxy ‘default’ as it requires HTTP mode.\n …done.\n"
time=“2017-04-30T17:09:54Z” level=info msg=" – reloading haproxy config with the new config changes\n * Reloading haproxy haproxy\n[WARNING] 119/170954 (93) : config : ‘option forwardfor’ ignored for proxy ‘default’ as it requires HTTP mode.\n[WARNING] 119/170954 (95) : config : ‘option forwardfor’ ignored for proxy ‘default’ as it requires HTTP mode.\n …done.\n"

I don’t know if the LB is working at this point or not. Another interesting/troubling thing is that the tutorial suggests that I can " find the exposed port of the load balancer as a link. Click on that link and a new browser will open, which will display the LetsChat application". The problem here is that I get directed to a private IP that is never going to work on my workstation. So it appears that even if the LB is working, I still don’t understand how to get the service exposed to a well-known IP on one of my own private networks so I know how to get at it.

What I’m trying to do here is SO SIMPLE! This is always the challenge with open source projects. I’m probably at fault here, but I don’t know what I don’t know, right? I’d love to pay for a little help, but I’m just doing evaluation, so going to a commercial version of something or entering into a full support contract doesn’t make sense. And yet I’d rather pay some $ to avoid all this fumbling around in the dark. If anyone who knows how all this works can help with some short-term support, I’d pay. Alternately, this is probably the “toe in the door” into s branch of a fortune 500 company that basically follows my lead on new technologies. Maybe someone can help me as part of a “sales effort” to get started at my company. Just sayin…