Detecting new virtual disk

I’m running SLES 11 SP1 on VMware.

I’ve added a new disk because I needed the extra space.

I cannot figure out how to get the system to recognize the new disk space.

‘hwinfo’ does not do it.

‘fdisk -l’ does not show it.

The only way I’ve succeeded in the past is by rebooting the server and having it detected during the boot. I’d rather not have to reboot this server. Is there a command I can run to have it discover the newly available device?

Thank you

Xitron

Hi Xitron,

Is there a command I can run to have it discover the newly available device?

it’s been a while that I had my hands on a Vmware environment, so I might be running in the wrong direction here:

If it’s been a SCSI disk you’ve added (“SCSI” from the VM’s point of view - no matter what it is to the host), then sending a rescan command to the according SCSI bus might help…

echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=XitronWork;13293]I’m running SLES 11 SP1 on VMware.

I’ve added a new disk because I needed the extra space.

I cannot figure out how to get the system to recognize the new disk space.

‘hwinfo’ does not do it.

‘fdisk -l’ does not show it.

The only way I’ve succeeded in the past is by rebooting the server and having it detected during the boot. I’d rather not have to reboot this server. Is there a command I can run to have it discover the newly available device?

Thank you

Xitron[/QUOTE]

Next to Jens’s comment… for VMware, you can use SLES’s “built-in” SCSI rescan script along with the force rescan switch :

#rescan-scsi-bus.sh --forcerescan

follow it up with the ‘partprobe’ command and check with ‘fdisk -l’ to make sure disks and disk sizes are reported as expected.

For the record, this can also be done on Xen, with that differance that the SCSI subsystem is usally not used for the PV guests… so there the blockdev command can be used to reread a specific device.

Cheers,
Willem