Dual Boot Windows 7 Professional and SLED 11

I’m wanting to dual boot Windows 7 Professional and SLED 11 SP1. Here’s my question…how do I, like I do on my personal computer with Windows 7 Home Premium and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, hide the SLED 11 SP1 bootloader from Windows 7 Professional? In Ubuntu, I have the ability to install it inside of the Linux partition. Is there a way to do this with SLED 11 SP1? Thanks! :confused:

Mark in Cincinnati

Hi
Are you booting via grub and mbr or using using UEFI and gpt disk?

Can you post the disk layout?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
up 19:59, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;11126]Hi
Are you booting via grub and mbr or using using UEFI and gpt disk?

Can you post the disk layout?

up 19:59, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile[/QUOTE]

What I’m actually trying to do is exactly what I do with Windows 7 Home Premium and Ubuntu. Ubuntu asks me during installation where I would like to install GRUB, and in the drop down I choose /dev/sda3, which is the partition that Ubuntu is installed on. This is to hide the Ubuntu GRUB from Windows so that I’m sure to get all the Windows updates that are required. In Windows Vista, they decided that if you were booting from any other OS’s bootloader other than Windows, you would not be getting Windows Vista SP2. That’s when I started hiding GRUB from the Windows partition. So I’m wanting to do the same thing with SLED 11. Install GRUB inside the SLED 11 partition, then use EasyBCD in Windows to create the dual-bootloader, and Windows 7 Pro will never know that I have SLED 11 installed on another partition.

Mark in Cincinnati :cool:

Hi
I normally create an extended partition and install the bootloader
there, along with a small boot partition. SLED is windows aware so will
add a GRUB entry to chainload it, else use windows easybcd.

So something like;

sda1 - windows 7
sda3 - extended partition ← Let grub install here
sda5 - /boot 128-200MB
sda6 - / 30GB
sda7 - /home (whatever you need…)
sda8 - swap 1.5x installed RAM

up 0:04, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.13, 0.07
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Not to open another thread about dual-boot I’ll ask here.
Well I bought a HP Probook 4740s with SLED 11 installed and I would like to add Win7. I did some research on the internet and it seems when I add Win7 I’ll damage Grub and I need installation DVD to repair it. As I said my laptop came with SLED installed so I don’t have one nor do I have any activation code.
So what should I do? Is it possible to repair Grub with some other distro’s DVD like openSUSE?
Ohh and I’m total noob in Linux OS.