Install Win7 after SLED

I’ve bought a new HP ProBook Laptop equipped by a SLED 11 Linux distro, I’ve wanted to install Windows 7 with SLED since it’s was my main OS that time, so I’ve created a partition using GParted CD, then, I’ve launched Windows 7 setup wizard, everything has gone good. After the end of the setup I’ve lost the access to SLED, my computer boots up to Windows directly, I’ve looked for I solution and I’ve found to use EasyBCD for adding SLED to boot list, so I’ve done it, I got the choice between Windows 7 and Linux SLED to boot on, but, unfortunately, just Windows starts, when I choose SLED I got this error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart the computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click “next”. 3. Click “Repair your computer”.
File: \ST
st_linux.mbr
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I’ve followed this link but it’s for Ubunto.
I could conclude:

• I need to backup the grub, but It’s high time I think, I didn’t do it before installing Windows7, so here is question: How to get the Grub again?
  • I need a Live SLED CD to boot from and restore the Grub, and here is another problem, I do not have it, I just have System Recovery DVD SLED 11 Linux.

So I’m in trouble, I need to restore the Linux as soon as possible, so any support will be greatly appreciated.
Notice that I do not want to lose Windows 7 because everything is going on.

Hi
You will need some sort of boot disk, I suggest booting fro the gparted
cd and posting the output from the command;

fdisk -l

You may need to download the SLED DVD to boot up the ‘rescue’ system,
but lets have a look at the drive partitioning first.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 1 day 16:53, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Here are two screenshotes that may help.
This is from the Gparted partitions:

I don’t know what does the [black box:unknown] mean, knowing that in Windows 7 there are 3 partitions= 270GB, and up to 35GB for SLED 11.
this is the result of the fdisk -l command:

I wish that makes sense because really need Linux for the short term.

Hi
Those partitions and types don’t make sense at all. Normally windows 7
will create a 100MB system (boot) partition starting a 2048…

I would say it’s a re-install either way…

If you re-install the SLED image, does it give you the opportunity to
partition the drive at all?

I run windows in a virtual machine via virtualbox, any thoughts on
doing the same (you have access to 3D, directx etc)?

Else re-install windows 7 and run virtualbox with SLED in it?

up 2 days 3:48, 5 users, load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.06

You mean I must re-install? no, that kinda a painful solution for the moment :slight_smile: .

[QUOTE]If you re-install the SLED image, does it give you the opportunity to
partition the drive at all?[/QUOTE]
Nope, the System Recovery DVD is just for repairing the system, once booted on, it tells me that this operation will erase all the data on the disk, then, it runs the recovery directly and makes the system with SLED from zero.

[QUOTE]I run windows in a virtual machine via virtualbox, any thoughts on
doing the same (you have access to 3D, directx etc)?[/QUOTE]
Do you mean to use Windows 7 in a virtual machine? if so, I don’t think I want so, I’ve experienced the virtual machine before with Ubuntu on a Windows 7, I got many issues made me dislike the virtual machine.

[QUOTE]Else re-install windows 7 and run virtualbox with SLED in it?
[/QUOTE]
SLED is original with the Laptop, I do not want to lose it. Also, actually, I do not want SLED as a necessity, If I would use Virtual Machine, I would use Ubuntu instead, I’m more familiar with it than SLED.

Please, tell me for further information if I haven’t understood you well.
Thanks malcolmlewis.

[QUOTE=InfoMan4ever][color=blue]

I would say it’s a re-install either way…[/color]
You mean I must re-install? no, that kinda a painful solution for the
moment :slight_smile: .
[color=blue]
If you re-install the SLED image, does it give you the opportunity to
partition the drive at all?[/color]
Nope, the System Recovery DVD is just for repairing the system, once
booted on, it tells me that this operation will erase all the data on
the disk, then, it runs the recovery directly and makes the system with
SLED from zero.
[color=blue]
I run windows in a virtual machine via virtualbox, any thoughts on
doing the same (you have access to 3D, directx etc)?[/color]
Do you mean to use Windows 7 in a virtual machine? if so, I don’t think
I want so, I’ve experienced the virtual machine before with Ubuntu on a
Windows 7, I got many issues made me dislike the virtual machine.
[color=blue]
Else re-install windows 7 and run virtualbox with SLED in it?
[/color]
SLED is original with the Laptop, I do not want to lose it. Also,
actually, I do not want SLED as a necessity, If I would use Virtual
Machine, I would use Ubuntu instead, I’m more familiar with it than
SLED.

Please, tell me for further information if I haven’t understood you
well.
Thanks malcolmlewis.

[/QUOTE]
OK, fair enough. Lets try this, if you fire up your gparted and set the
boot flag to partition 1 (hda1), and remove the bootflag from hda2, does
it boot to SLED?

up 3 days 6:34, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.08, 0.06

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;2544]OK, fair enough. Lets try this, if you fire up your gparted and set the
boot flag to partition 1 (hda1), and remove the bootflag from hda2, does
it boot to SLED?
[/QUOTE]

No way, I’ve changed the boot flag from hda2 to hda1 and now I’m getting the error: “No existing Operating System” in start up and no boot menu appears, I wish that means something for you :frowning: .

I have been asked to offer my 2c

I agree with Malcolm. One look at this tells me is makes no sense. IMO you basically destroyed SLE, look at the size of it! 34GB
And what happened to swap
I’m pretty sure a pre-install SLE would have had
/
/home
swap

You say you want to keep SLE but who decided it was only worth 34GB

Windows has only just been installed, but that NTFS partition is pretty full up for a new install.

What I see here is a complete mess (sorry) but it is. Wipe the HD and start again.
If you decide to do that, I suggest you ask for advice about partitioning.

FYI: If you assign windows a existing ntfs partition during it’s install process, it will install all in one partition. I never install it any differently than this.
If you let it run riot with a complete HD and unassigned partitions it is then that it will create a small boot partition.

[QUOTE]I agree with Malcolm. One look at this tells me is makes no sense. IMO you basically destroyed SLE, look at the size of it! 34GB
And what happened to swap[/QUOTE]
Hi,
Right, I believe now I did destroy SLED looking to partitions that has only 34GB and no swap partition in there.
I decided now to go through using a virtual machine since I have a Ubuntu .iso version to get my work done soon.
But, that shouldn’t be permanent because I can’t bear my system is a mess :slight_smile:
So, let’s suppose I did wipe the HD and restored the SLED, and now I’m in the point of installing Windows7, right?
What do you suggest to do next in term of:

• Partition size and type reserved for Win7.
  • Keeping SLED away from any changes due to the new OS installed aside.
  • Guarantee dual-boot between SLED and Win7.
    Thanks in advance.

When you get round to it. Wipe the HD and create new partitions like this:

HTFS Primary 100GB
Extended Primary to use all the free space
swap Logical (equal to your RAM eg: 2GB)
ext3 Logical 30GB for / (root)
ext3 Logical (all the remaining free space) (for /home)

Install windows first, pointing it to the ntfs partition
Fully update it, including all it’s silly service packs

=====================================

Now install SUSE
Use the custom partitioning to point to the / and /home

=====================================

Here is an example of my partitioning (smaller HD than you)

dev/sda1 63 136327589 68163763+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT /dev/sda2 * 136327651 312576704 88124527 5 Extended /dev/sda5 136327653 141259544 2465946 82 Linux swap / Solaris /dev/sda6 141259608 177582509 18161451 83 Linux /dev/sda7 177584128 312575999 67495936 83 Linux

@caf4926 SLED is installed via a ‘restore’ image dvd, windows will need
to be installed afterwards…

up 3 days 4:37, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

Hi,
I can’t (yet) install Windows7 before SLED, because System Recovery DVD that I have can just recover the system not make a new setup that wipes the disk content anyway, right?
So I must restore SLED first and then Install Windows7, but I miss some steps to keep SLED safe because installing Windows7 will destroy the access to SLED (I need to backup GRUB according to some references), I’m asking now how to restore or save the access to SLED after installing Windows7?

Thank you very much for your reply Mr caf4926.

Hi,
I can’t (yet) install Windows7 before SLED, because System Recovery DVD that I have can just recover the system (not make a new setup) that wipes the disk content anyway, right?
So I must restore SLED first and then Install Windows7, but I miss some steps to keep SLED safe because installing Windows7 will destroy the access to SLED (I need to backup GRUB according to some references), I’m asking now how to restore or save the access to SLED after installing Windows7?

Thank you very much for your reply Mr caf4926.

[QUOTE=InfoMan4ever;2616]Hi,
I can’t (yet) install Windows7 before SLED, because System Recovery DVD that I have can just recover the system (not make a new setup) that wipes the disk content anyway, right?

Thank you very much for your reply Mr caf4926.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know there’s no option to recover grub with recovery DVD so you won’t be able to make SLED boot with it after Windows installation.
You should download and burn SLED installation DVD. Then you’ll be able to install SLED after Windows and create your own partition table. After adding Windows to grub you’ll be able to boot any OS.

Hi Alex,
What do you mean by “you’ll be able to install SLED after Windows…”? in this case, it seems to be a new SLED installed version not the original one that I had with the Laptop, isn’t it?
Thanks for your reply.

[QUOTE=InfoMan4ever;2673]Hi Alex,
What do you mean by “you’ll be able to install SLED after Windows…”? in this case, it seems to be a new SLED installed version not the original one that I had with the Laptop, isn’t it?
Thanks for your reply.[/QUOTE]

I mean It will be a normal installation DVD not a recovery DVD. You’ll be able to partition your HDD as you like and install SLED in the way and to partitions you like. You can encrypt partitions choose file system types as well. So you can install Windows to a dedicated partition and use the rest of HDD to install SLED.
Both SLED versions will be absolutely the same. It has been discussed some time ago in this forum. The difference will be only in your installation media (a recovery DVD or a fully functional installation DVD).

Great, here is a link of downloading Installation DVD. They are saying it’s a evaluation version available for only 60 days, the thing I’m afraid of is to lose the original version by installing SLED from the installation DVD , I need you to confirm I won’t lose anything so that I can process downloading the installation DVD and redoing Windows7…
Thanks a lot for helping me out Alex.

I reinstalled the system myself using installation DVD.
The only thing you should do is to register your product then go to Novell Customer Center and save your activation code. After installing the system from installation DVD you’ll need it to register the system again.
I don’t remember for sure (did it more than a year ago), but you can also need to delete your product in Novell Customer Center before you activate it again.

Hi
Check on your Novell Customer Center page for the ‘Mirror Credentials’
these are the username and password that’s associated with your
activation code.

You might also want to save the repository list… would need to check
and detail that for you.

up 2 days 18:42, 3 users, load average: 1.45, 0.96, 0.66

I have similar problem , well it’s not a problem yet since I haven’t done any modifications to my machine.
I bought a HP laptop with SLED 11 on recovery partition on HDD and it installed upon first power-up. I would like to dual-boot SLED ad win7.
It seems that I’ll damage Grub when I install Win7 so is it possible only to repair Grub using SLED install DVD so I don’t need to reinstall whole system?
P.S. my laptop didn’t come with install DVD so I would have to download that 60 day eval one.
Sorry for the double post on that other thread.