Dual Monitor Display

I am using Dell optiPlex 990 desktop with DUAL 512MB AMD RADEON HD 6350 (2 VGA) installed, and two Dell LCD monitors E190s and E1911. Operating System: SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP2.

What I want to do is that each monitor can display different content on the same PC. My problem is two monitors display the duplicated contents. I did followed the instruction under “How Can I Configure Multiple Monitors in Linux?” of AMD’s website, which requires running the fglrxconfig. But when I run the fglrxconfig, the localhost prompt said: command not found. I also went to the SUSE Linux YAST to activate the Dual Head Mode. But, result is the same that both monitors continued to display the duplicated content regardless I set to Cloned or Xinerama Multihead.

How can I make each monitor display different content on the same PC.

Thanks to help.

Tim

Hi
You need to install the ATI proprietary driver from the ATI repository
on your system (Assuming it’s registered and up to date)

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
up 8:08, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Hi there.
We are running icewm on SLED 11 SP3 and are experiencing the same issue regarding clone mode only on two connected monitors.
The same hardware running an installation with Gnome works fine, when setting up dual display using “Display” from Control Center.

However on icewm we only have YaST x11 to work with (I think?) if we should set this up “the official” way.
Using YaST to activate Dual Head Mode and activate Xinerama mode, doesn’t work. This still only provides clone mode.

Any chance to fix this, so that we can use Yast on icewm to set up Xinerama mode? We would really prefer to base setup on the official tools, so that customers can do this them selves.

Anyway we need to fix this, so any idea otherwise to fix this using e.g. xrandr or manually editing xorg.conf or similar.

Hardware: Intel Ivybridge M GT2.

Any help is much appreciated - thank you.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

[QUOTE=KevinHansen;21019]Hi there.
We are running icewm on SLED 11 SP3 and are experiencing the same issue regarding clone mode only on two connected monitors.
The same hardware running an installation with Gnome works fine, when setting up dual display using “Display” from Control Center.

However on icewm we only have YaST x11 to work with (I think?) if we should set this up “the official” way.
Using YaST to activate Dual Head Mode and activate Xinerama mode, doesn’t work. This still only provides clone mode.

Any chance to fix this, so that we can use Yast on icewm to set up Xinerama mode? We would really prefer to base setup on the official tools, so that customers can do this them selves.

Anyway we need to fix this, so any idea otherwise to fix this using e.g. xrandr or manually editing xorg.conf or similar.

Hardware: Intel Ivybridge M GT2.

Any help is much appreciated - thank you.

Kind Regards,
Kevin[/QUOTE]

I still haven’t been able to solve this using icewm and YaST. However testing further on Gnome, where it works with dual displays in Xinerama mode, it turns out that this way of setting up two displays doesn’t work for us anyway.

We need to have two seperate xsessions running, each on one display.
Not sure to set this up on SLED however that is off topic for this thread.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

[QUOTE=KevinHansen;21022]—
We need to have two seperate xsessions running, each on one display.
Not sure to set this up on SLED however that is off topic for this thread.

Kind Regards,
Kevin[/QUOTE]
Hi
It’s just a matter of starting an X session on the next display eg 1 (tty8), you can then use something like qsynergy for mouse and keyboard control.