Dumb question

@“jtlong@gmx.com” Hi, the XFCE repos are for a desktop environment? You don’t need XFCE to install the XFE application?

I’ve never prioritized, that should not be needed anymore as vendor ‘stickiness’ is in place, once you switch it remains with that repository if active, the only way to switch is to ask YaST to do it, or via zypper and --allow-vendor-change.

Oh, I was just adding the XFCE repos because I just ran across them. They are officially ofiicial repos, posted on the OpenSUSE website, but I missed them the first time around, because they’re listed on a different page. What I got confused about is the way it was worded I wasn’t sure if I should add one or both as priority 70, or what the heck priority to give to the XFE repository.
So… if I understand you correctly, I should NOT add them as priority 70, and it doesn’t make one hill of beans difference if I add them of XFE first. Is that right?
I did an ‘allow vendor change’ in Yast software management last week when I had to add a package that was depending on an OpenSUSE library. Didn’t seem to do much, though. I got a successful install, but it didn’t seem to replace 762 different SLE packages with OpenSUSE ones. I’m not at all sure if ‘Vendor Change’. Still means what it used to. IMHO, identical vendor specific packages are redundant anyway. If two packages offer the precise same service, what the heck difference does it make who zipped it up? One more example of ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. :wink:

@“jtlong@gmx.com” Hi, the priority number is like a count-down 1 is the highest :wink: Yes it will only affect that package or packages installed from repository x and keep that way unless there is user interaction for an issue.

Thanks so much for all of your help! XFE is a bit Win95-esque… but at least it has a tree! It took it’s fair share to get the associations working (and some other tweaking). I don’t know WHY Linux can’t get some core file association thing going to hang everything on. I’m actually having fun playing with the tree with two panels to move files. I think 2 trees would be more efficient, but it works well enough for what I needed. :slight_smile:

I completely crashed the install. I’m currently working in a snapshot. Somebody else is trying to help me on the other forum, but I think I could really use your advice, since my system was/is SLED 15.1.
At this point, I’m pretty sure I muffed it by trying to install G05 for OpenSUSE 15.1 which uninstalled the G04 for SLED 15.1. I tried to reinstall G04, but it just occurred to me that that would be the G04 for OpenSUSE 15.1, not for SLED 15.1.

…If my system is indeed still SLED 15.1. I dunno how to determine that.

@“jtlong@gmx.com” Hi cat /etc/os-release?

Just add the repo manually?

zypper lr -f -g -n "SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver"  https://download.nvidia.com/suse/sle15sp1 SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver

How do I do it that from a snapshot image? I tried to make a package change, and it told me it was read only. Pretty sure it won’t let me add a repo either, but I’ll try it if you think it should work.
You know what else?? My mind is blown that that repo isn’t in there. I should have added that, step 1, right after system install. I am honestly shocked that it’s missing.

I tried the zypper command just to see what kind of error it would spit at me.
Surpsisingly, it said
linux-gx1p:/home/james # zypper lr -f -g -n “SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver” https://download.nvidia.com/suse/sle15sp1 SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver
The flag f is not known.

Sure enough, after typing help, I don’t see -f in there. I don’t see -g either, but I’ll read the whole thing to try to be sure.

Verified, I don’t see either -f or -g in there. I DID discover that some clever person put ‘if’ in there as an abbreviation for ‘info’, so you could type something like
zypper patches if “nVidia G05”
…just to confuse the crap out of somebody. :smiley:

Hi
@“jtlong@gmx.com” Hi, my bad, ar (add repo) not lr (list repo)

zypper ar -f -g -n "SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver" https://download.nvidia.com/suse/sle15sp1 SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver
linux-gx1p:/home/james # zypper ar -f -g -n "SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver" https://download.nvidia.com/suse/sle15sp1 SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver
Adding repository 'SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver' .......................................................................[error]
Unknown problem when adding repository:
Can't open file '/etc/zypp/repos.d/SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver.repo' for writing.
linux-gx1p:/home/james #

Again, I’m in a read-only system snapshot. I don’t think I CAN affect this system. I have to figure out how to manipulate the live system, which currently won’t even complete the boot process far enough to give me a command line.

I think. :confused:

I just discovered the command ‘snapper’ but I have no idea IF that will help me, let alone how.

Found the Snapper app in Yast2. Frankly, this looks like something I could totally break my system with. Pretty sure I can identify the pre/post pair where I corrupted the system with the OpenSUSE nVidia driver.

@“jtlong@gmx.com” Hi, hmmm must need the trailing slash in the url…
zypper ar -f -g -n "SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver" https://download.nvidia.com/suse/sle15sp1/ SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver

Like so?
linux-gx1p:/home/james # zypper ar -f -g -n “SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver” https://download.nvidia.com/suse/sle15sp1/ SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver
Adding repository ‘SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver’ …[error]
Unknown problem when adding repository:
Can’t open file ‘/etc/zypp/repos.d/SLE-15-SP1-Desktop-NVIDIA-Driver.repo’ for writing.
linux-gx1p:/home/james #

Did yoe see my three comments above about snapper? They came across on page 2, so I think maybe you missed them.

Did I lose you? Still not sure what to do here. I can’t seem to find the Snapper instructions for performing a recovery while running IN a system snapshot. I guess I’ll read through everything again and take my best stab at it.

The instructions I read, said that after I had a successful boot, it would boot in to that snapshot, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Pretty sure I have to do some sort of command to hammer it in to place.

@“jtlong@gmx.com” Hi, should be able to select from the grub boot menu under advanced? It will boot read only, then you can roll back? https://documentation.suse.com/sled/15-SP1/html/SLED-all/cha-snapper.html

Hey!! The simple snapper rollback command that didn’t work last time actually worked this time! Makes me think that there might be something terribly wrong with my kernel or something… but I’m going to roll with it. :slight_smile:
I’m going to attempt to add that Nvidia repo that I THOUGHT was added when I first installed the system, then try to install G05 from there. :slight_smile:
Here goes nothing…

Oh WOW… I somehow missed that cat command you posted earlier. One sec, I’ll do that before I try to switch video drivers…
james@linux-gx1p:~> cat /etc/os-release
NAME=“SLED”
VERSION=“15-SP1”
VERSION_ID=“15.1”
PRETTY_NAME=“SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 15 SP1”
ID=“sled”
ID_LIKE=“suse”
ANSI_COLOR=“0;32”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:suse:sled:15:sp1”
james@linux-gx1p:~>