Error installing patch 'sledsp3-grub-9193'

I am having issues with installing 'sledsp3-grub-9193 I am receiving the following error from the cli and from the gui.

Error: Subprocess failed. Error : RPM failed: error :
unpacking of archive failed on file /boot/boot;56df1e8c: cpio: symlink failed - operation not permitted

This is a new machine.

Looks like it has to do with an issue created/caused by HP.

The boot partition for whatever reason is ‘vfat’, which does not support symlinks.

I am facing exactly the same problem with my HP machine with vfat filesystem for /boot

If I ignore this and try to get updated to SP4, after registration SP4-pool, SP4-updates etc do not appear in the list of repositories and hence
update to SP4 doesn’t happen.

How to resolve this problem? How do I update to SP4?

On 30/06/16 12:24, mithun wrote:
[color=blue]

I am facing exactly the same problem with my HP machine with vfat
filesystem for /boot

If I ignore this and try to get updated to SP4, after registration
SP4-pool, SP4-updates etc do not appear in the list of repositories and
hence
update to SP4 doesn’t happen.

How to resolve this problem? How do I update to SP4?[/color]

So you currently have SLED11 SP3? How are you upgrading to SP4? What
does “zypper products” report?

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

Currently I have SLED 11 SP3 and want to upgrade to SP4. I followed the instructions (using zypper) given in

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016711

At one point I had trouble in applying all the patches (the grub patch), which now has got resolved.
Still I am unable to upgrade to SP4. Apparently the migration product got installed, but the repositories
of SP4 are not added. Please see the outputs of zypper pd below:

linux:~ # zypper pd
Refreshing service 'nu_novell_com'.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
S | Repository      | Internal Name           | Name                                                  | Version    | Arch   | Is Base
--+-----------------+-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+------------+--------+--------
i | @System         | SUSE_SLED-SP4-migration | SUSE_SLED Service Pack 4 Migration Product            | 11.3-1.4   | x86_64 | No     
i | @System         | SUSE_SLED               | SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP3                  | 11.3-1.201 | x86_64 | Yes    
i | @System         | sle-sdk                 | SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 11 SP4 | 11.4-1.55  | x86_64 | No     
v | SLED11-SP3-Pool | SUSE_SLED               | SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP3                  | 11.3-1.95  | x86_64 | No     

After this suse_register and zypper ref were executed. The output of zypper lr after this looks like:

linux:~ # zypper lr
#  | Alias                                     | Name                            | Enabled | Refresh
---+-------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+---------+--------
 1 | ATI-Driver-HP-BNB-SLE11-SP3               | ATI-Driver-HP-BNB-SLE11-SP3     | No      | No     
 2 | ATI-Driver-SLE11-SP4                      | ATI-Driver-SLE11-SP4            | Yes     | Yes    
 3 | HP-BNB-Dedicated-Update-Channel           | HP-BNB-Dedicated-Update-Channel | Yes     | No     
 4 | nVidia-Driver-SLE11-SP3                   | nVidia-Driver-SLE11-SP3         | No      | No     
 5 | nVidia-Driver-SLE11-SP4                   | nVidia-Driver-SLE11-SP4         | Yes     | Yes    
 6 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP1-Pool          | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Pool              | No      | Yes    
 7 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP1-Updates       | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Updates           | No      | Yes    
 8 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP2-Core          | SLE11-SDK-SP2-Core              | No      | Yes    
 9 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP2-Updates       | SLE11-SDK-SP2-Updates           | No      | Yes    
10 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP3-Pool          | SLE11-SDK-SP3-Pool              | No      | Yes    
11 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP3-Updates       | SLE11-SDK-SP3-Updates           | No      | Yes    
12 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP4-Pool          | SLE11-SDK-SP4-Pool              | Yes     | Yes    
13 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP4-Updates       | SLE11-SDK-SP4-Updates           | Yes     | Yes    
14 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool    | SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool        | Yes     | No     
15 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates     | Yes     | No     
16 | nu_novell_com:SLED11-Extras               | SLED11-Extras                   | Yes     | No     
17 | nu_novell_com:SLED11-SP3-HP-BNB-Updates   | SLED11-SP3-HP-BNB-Updates       | Yes     | No     
18 | nu_novell_com:SLED11-SP3-Pool             | SLED11-SP3-Pool                 | Yes     | No     
19 | nu_novell_com:SLED11-SP3-Updates          | SLED11-SP3-Updates              | Yes     | No     
20 | science                                   | science                         | Yes     | Yes    

As you can see the SDK, NVIDIA etc got updated repositories listed. But SP4-Pool and SP4-Updates are not listed.
I am having HP machine with pre-loaded SLED 11.

Please help to resolve this.

[COLOR="#B22222"]
is it feasible for you to install SLED11SP4 from scratch as a new installation rather than updating/upgrading?

this is what i did in my case. installation errors (if any) are easier to manage.

remember to have /home and other critical system folders you may need under a separate partition (or set a back-up) before re-partitioning & formatting.
[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=ofvergara;33318][COLOR="#B22222"]
is it feasible for you to install SLED11SP4 from scratch as a new installation rather than updating/upgrading?
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

As I have many specific software (research related) installed on my machine, some of which are in system directories, re-installation would
take lot of effort. It would be great if I could update to SP4 which will avoid re-installation of a large number of applications.