Ethernet driver on Dell R320 server

Hi all,

please bear with me, I am quite in-experienced with Linux in general although I am happy to experiment !

I have a Dell R320 rack server on which I have installed Suse Linux Sles 11

(Kernel Linux 2.6.32.54-0.3-default) Gnome 2.28.2

I have to use this installation OS as my primary application, a soft telephone system install, requires this exact release.

The problem that I have is that the Broadcom ethernet adaptors on the server are not recognized / or don’t have drivers.

I cannot work out how to find the correct drivers, nor how to install them - I have downloaded several RPM packages from Dell here -

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/poweredge-r320.html#Network

however I cannot fathom how to install the drivers, if I attempt to run the RPM files then i encounter errors

I have temporarily installed a usb ethernet adaptor to the server, but of course I can’t use this as a long term solution.

Could anyone help me please to get the on board broadcom network interfaces up and running please ?

Are you certain it requires this extract release? What you’ve installed is end of life and unsupported. Library versions are pretty much consistent through SLES 11 and SLES 11 SP3 which is the current version and quite probably supports your network card out of the box. If something runs on SLES 11 it probably runs on SLES 11 SP3.

What’s the name of this telephone system?

With regards installing rpm packages it should be possible to install them with

$ rpm -ivh thefile.rpm

You can specify multiple files at once and that will be required is some of packages depend on one or more of the others.

It will help people help you if you say exactly what you are trying to do with the rpm files and what happens as a result such as the full exact wording of any error messages.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;18831]Are you certain it requires this extract release? What you’ve installed is end of life and unsupported. Library versions are pretty much consistent through SLES 11 and SLES 11 SP3 which is the current version and quite probably supports your network card out of the box. If something runs on SLES 11 it probably runs on SLES 11 SP3.

What’s the name of this telephone system?

With regards installing rpm packages it should be possible to install them with

$ rpm -ivh thefile.rpm

You can specify multiple files at once and that will be required is some of packages depend on one or more of the others.

It will help people help you if you say exactly what you are trying to do with the rpm files and what happens as a result such as the full exact wording of any error messages.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for your reply. I’m afraid the documentation for the Siemens system I am to install is quite specific in stating that only this version of the OS is supported :confused:

I was previously trying to “run” the rpm packages - I guess hence error messages !

I have now successfully used your rpm command to apply one of the driver files, however when entering Yast the ethernet ports still show the same - do I need to restart the server after installing the rpm file ?

[QUOTE=muppet2002;18837] I’m afraid the documentation for the Siemens system I am to install is quite specific in stating that only this version of the OS is supported :confused:
[/QUOTE]

Which version of SLES do you actually have? I assumed SLES 11 GA because in your screenshot it says ‘Release 11’ and there’s no mention of a service pack but looking at the same dialogue on a SLED 11 SP3 machine I’ve realised it says ‘Release 11’ and also doesn’t mention a service pack. SLES 11 SP2 shipped with Kernel 3.something so you have either SLES 11 GA or SLES 11 SP1 but I can’t just figure out which based on the Kernel version. If you’re not sure how to tell run

$ cat /etc/*release*

If you have SLES 11 SP1 you can purchase Long Term Service Pack Support until August 2015.
https://www.suse.com/support/programs/long-term-service-pack-support.html
http://www.novell.com/docrep/2013/04/long_term_service_pack_support_flyer.pdf
There’s no long term support available for SLES 11 GA though.

Seems like a generally bad idea to be setting up a system using an OS that’s already gone end of life. Hopefully the system doesn’t need to be exposed to the Internet. Firewalls, restricting where services accept connections from, a private IP address that’s not rotatable from outside your network, all that stuff.

Possibly, it’s so long since I had to install additional drivers I can’t remember. It’s a non-live system so if in doubt, reboot :wink:

Hi,

thanks, have rebooted but no joy :confused:

It’s SLES 11 SP1 32Bit - I agree it seems odd that they have chosen an older version of SLES11, but I have to make this work :wink:

Ok, so I have found the correct driver, and I have instruction as to how to install it, here is the instruction, and where I am stuck - hopefully you can help ?
Installing Source RPM Package

The following are general guidelines for installing the driver.

1. Install the source RPM package:

rpm -ivh tg3-.src.rpm - [COLOR="#FF0000"]This I have done, and it says it completes 100%[/COLOR]

2. CD to the RPM path and build the binary driver for your kernel:

cd /usr/src/{redhat,OpenLinux,turbo,packages,rpm …} - [COLOR="#FF0000"]I am unsure where to CD to here ?[/COLOR]

rpm -bb SPECS/tg3.spec - [COLOR="#FF0000"]when I run this command (in the downloaded driver folder) I get the message “-bb unkown option” [/COLOR]

or

rpmbuild -bb SPECS/tg3.spec (for RPM version 4.x.x) [COLOR="#FF0000"]- this command fails with "error:failed to stat /root/Desktop/Driver/SPECS/tg3.spec: no such file or directory[/COLOR]

Note that the RPM path is different for different Linux distributions.

The driver will be compiled for the running kernel by default. To build
the driver for a kernel different than the running one, specify the
kernel by defining it in KVER:

rpmbuild -bb SPECS/tg3.spec --define "KVER "

where in the form of 2.x.y-z is the version of another
kernel that is installed on the system.

1. Install the newly built package (driver and man page):

rpm -ivh RPMS//tg3-..rpm

is the architecture of the machine, e.g. i386:

rpm -ivh RPMS/i386/tg3-.i386.rpm

Note that the --force option may be needed on some Linux distributions
if conflicts are reported.

The driver will be installed in the following path:

2.4.x kernels:

/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.o

2.6.x/3.x kernels:

/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko
  1. Load the driver:

insmod tg3.o
    or
    insmod tg3.ko (on 2.6.x/3.x kernels)
    or
    modprobe tg3

2. To configure network protocol and address, refer to various Linux
    documentations.

I managed to find the SPECS folder, and ran the rpmbuild command:

rpmbuild -bb SPECS/tg3.spec (for RPM version 4.x.x)

this ran, but failed with errors:

You need to install the kernel -devel package. A screenshot you posted earlier shows you’re using the -default kernel so you need to install the kernel-default-devel package

$ zypper in kernel-default-devel

Don’t run rpmbuild as root. An error in the spec file could result in the build process writing files to places it shouldn’t. Run it as a regular user then switch to root to install the package once it’s built. General good practice is don’t do anything as root that doesn’t need to be done as root. If you’re not root you can’t accidentally delete bits of your operating system :wink:

Those instructions you posted mention it may be necessary to use --force when installing the rpm. If you’re using --force what you’re doing is saying install this anyway despite the probably very good reason(s) that installing it without using --force doesn’t work. Under normal circumstances using --force shouldn’t be required.

Hi
Just a few thoughts…

SP1 has the tg3 driver (maybe it’s not there for x86?
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/11-SP1/

Did the OP try modprobe tg3?

Does the device in question turn up in the output from lspci -nnk? Need
the PCI ID’s…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks for your continued patience,

I have attempted to install the -devel kernel - terminal reports back that it is already installed

I then re-ran the rpm build - errors again

I have run modprobe tg3 - no response back

I ran the lspci -nnk command - screenshot shows the response, the 2 x broadcom interfaces are listed which I guess is a good thing ?

Hi
Can you provide a link to the src rpm you downloaded, it needs fixing
to build with your system.

Yes, I would guess if you do;

modinfo tg3

and post an image, I would guess your device 14e4:165f isn’t in the
output of the aliases string.

Hi
I guess I should use the forum search feature…
https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?2019-Yast-doesn-t-see-a-NIC&highlight=Yast+doesn%27t+NIC
This is exactly the same issue…

Kernel 3.0 supports…

Hi
There is also another option, install ESXi and take advantage of the hardware and run your application in a VM…

I’ve run the Modinfo tg3, and no 165f isn’t listed :confused:

the rpm I’ve downloaded is here :

http://www.broadcom.com/support/license.php?file=570x/linux-3.133d.zip

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;18853]Hi
I guess I should use the forum search feature…
https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?2019-Yast-doesn-t-see-a-NIC&highlight=Yast+doesn%27t+NIC
This is exactly the same issue…

Kernel 3.0 supports…[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I’ve read through that and the OP was successful installing the broadcom driver - so there is some hope ?

There certainly is hope. I grabbed the zip you provided a link to and tried building the rpm on a SLED 11 SP3 box and built first try and it doesn’t required you --force to install. I haven’t tried building it on SLES 11 SP1 because I don’t have an install of that or a way to make one right now.

Your first post indicates that you have kernel 2.6.32.54-0.3, the output from rpmbuild mentions 2.6.32.49. Which version of kernel-default-devel do you have installed?

$ rpm -qi  kernel-

There is a 2.6.32.54-0.3 version of the kernel-default-devel package in the SLES 11 SP1 Update repository.

Some other misc thoughts:

The output of the zypper command you posted indicates that you only have one repository set up called PK_TMP_DIR. That suggests you haven’t registered the machine because if have, you should have other repos configured. Your first post indicates you’re got kernel 2.6.32.54. SLES 11 SP1 shipped with 2.6.32.12 (based on what I see in the SLES11-SP1-Pool repository) and the highest version of the kernel in the SLES11-SP1-Updates repo is 2.6.32.59. So you have a kernel version newer than that which SLES 11 SP1 shipped with but not the latest version available and you don’t have the update repo configured. Which seems a bit odd. Where did you obtain this copy of SLES 11 SP1? Have you installed updates and if so, how?

You mention earlier that you ran rpmbuild, got errors, then you tried running the modprobe command that the instructions tell you to run after building the rpm. If building the rpm failed there is no point proceeding with the rest of the instructions. What you’re trying to do is build an rpm, install the rpm, then load the module that rpm provides. In the case of ‘modprobe tg3’, it’s been established that SLES 11 SP1 already has a tg3 module but it doesn’t support your network card. So unless you’ve successfully built and installed the rpm that provides the newer version of the tg3 module, running ‘modprobe tg3’ is going to load the useless version of the module. You can get list of loaded modules is

$ lsmod

To check if tg3 specifically is loaded

$ lsmod | grep tg3
To check the version of tg3 that’s available

$ modinfo tg3 | grep version

The zip you link to provides version 3.133d.

Hi
A version for SLE 11 SP1 building here now
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:malcolmlewis:SLE_11_SPn_General/tg3
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/SLE_11_SPn_General/SUSE_SLE-11_SP1_standard/

Not this is the default kernel, so you would need to grab the src rpm
and rebuild that AS YOUR USER in your home dir :wink: You only need to be
root to install the built rpm.

rpmbuild --rebuild tg3-3.133d-1.1.src.rpm