EVMS cannot expand a volume

Looking for some help with this seeing as the doco on EVMS is pretty lacklustre

here’s what i’ve tried so far without any luck…

add a disk to my VM

create 2 segments in evmsgui
create a container and add 1 segment to it
create a region on the segment
create a volume using this region
expand the container with the remaining segment

from this point on, I can’t for the life of me expand either the volume or the region so I can grow the filesystem i’ve made on the volume

if I remove the volume from the region I get the option to expand the region, but that doesn’t help me much if I need the data on the volume…

the reason i’m asking is that i’m going to add some space to a machine in the near future that uses EVMS and need to get the procedure worked out

any sort of destructive volume removal, migration etc really isn’t an option as this is the kind of situation EVMS is meant to help you avoid

Yeah, EVMS is not very friendly indeed.

Just for checks sake, what type of system will you be expanding the volume on? Is it an OES system? Or just plain SLES?

-Willem

Hi Willem,
It’s an oes2 box - from some digging it looks to have been installed following the sles evms admin guide almost exactly

i’m going to run up a vm today to see if what sles gives me after running up a box with evms as the system device looks any different in the evms gui

I now know why i’ve always stuck to traditional volumes with plenty of space from the start…

well after running up a box following the evms admin guide from Novell / suse (glad I found that as the official EVMS documentation is pretty woeful), I found the process to be rather simple and it took all of 20 minutes on my test box :slight_smile:

one thing that novell and suse can certainly be praised for is their doco - the OES docs should make reference to the sles evms admin guide though, rather than directing used to the evms doco on sourceforge…

On 21/05/2012 02:54, gleach1 wrote:
[color=blue]

one thing that novell and suse can certainly be praised for is their
doco - the OES docs should make reference to the sles evms admin guide
though, rather than directing used to the evms doco on sourceforge…[/color]

Since you’ve posted in a SUSE forum I’m not sure anyone from Novell will
see this so I suggest you use the feedback link at the bottom of the
documentation page to report the above.

Alternatively if you can point me at the page I can take care of
reporting it.

HTH.

Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See TTP Organization | Micro Focus for more details.