EXT4 fs beyond 16TB? (non root)

Hello,

I have a sles12 sp3 with the latest patches system which has an ext4 based 16TB fs which i need to further extend…

i read that ext4 supports 64bit option , but i dont know if this is included in current e2progs package of SLES12 SP3.

does anyone has successfully extended ext4 beyond 16TB?

Thank you in advance.

Michael.

[QUOTE=maikcat;55839]Hello,

I have a sles12 sp3 with the latest patches system which has an ext4 based 16TB fs which i need to further extend…

i read that ext4 supports 64bit option , but i dont know if this is included in current e2progs package of SLES12 SP3.

does anyone has successfully extended ext4 beyond 16TB?

Thank you in advance.

Michael.[/QUOTE]
Hi
Should be 1EiB…
Ref: https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP3/#TechInfo.Filesystems.Comparison

Good Morning Malcolm and thank you for the response,

When i try to extent the fs beyond 16Tib i get

resize2fs 1.42.11 (09-Jul-2014)
resize2fs: New size too large to be expressed in 32 bits

any ideas?

Michael.

Hello Michael,

have you tried “tune2fs”? From its man page on the “-O” option:

[QUOTE]The following filesystem features can be set or cleared using tune2fs:

64bit  Enable the file system to be larger than 2^32 blocks.[/QUOTE]

Regards,
J

Hello all,

Already opened case to SUSE which they provided me the -b switch to convert the FS to 64bit which in SLES12 SP3 is not supported
and i am waiting for a official response…

so for now if you create an ext4 fs and you expect it to grow beyond 16TiB you are out of luck…

i will keep you informed.

Michael.

Hello All and thank you for you answers,

Official response was to upgrade my system to SP4 because current SP3 toolset does not support 64bit conversion of ext4.

So i wonder if the so called release notes of their OS are for advertizing purposes only…

I hope that i saved others from the same suffering…

Cheers,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

from your response, I read that converting to 64bit Ext4 is not supported. Did you receive any information that creating a new 64bit Ext4 filesystem isn’t supported either?

Regards,
J