failproc:empty pid /var/run/blogd.pid when booting SUSE Ent

Hi everyone!
First, I’m new to SUSE Linux. (Not very familiar with Linux systems also, but I can follow instructions very well)

In my new office, we have an application running in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11.2.6.19-5(pae) (installed in HP ProLiant server computer) When I boot this server, it will normally boot to a GUI Login screen where I would login and everything else works fine (meaning, our application can access an oracle database in the server)

The problem: Now when I start the server, it does not boot to the GUI login screen, instead, it brings me to the terminal with error msgs:
-Failed service in run level 5
-failproc: empty pid file /var/run/blogd.pid for /sbin/blogd

It also asks for a login and when I try to login it says : Error in service module.

• When booting, I also saw “FAILED” in Listener.

*When client application tries to login/connect to the server they get "ORA-1224: TNS: No listener.

I have gone through this post https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre…ighlight=blogd but could resolve my problem.

I’m considering booting with the install DVD and choosing “Repair”, should I?
Can you help me please, what should I do here?

Thanks.
Frank.

Hi Frank,

my crystal ball tells me it might have to do with incorrectly mounted file systems (i.e. read-only instead of read/write, most probably the /var file system) - is there anything reported during boot that might hint at such problems?

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Just kiddin’, what I really want to know is if this behavior is consistent across multiple reboots… file system errors often are fixed by automatic “fsck” runs during boot, but it might be that either multiple runs are required or that other problems arise, that are “fixed” later on during boot, but some earlier service didn’t catch. Upon the next boot, things might be (basically) in order right from the start, giving all processes a chance to operate normally. If the error persists reboots, some deeper cause needs fixing.

Regards,
Jens