Full LVM - hope you can help

Hello,

I have big problem with lvm.
When I do “df -ah”

The /space partition I deleted. I do not wanted, but there where no important data. Thias partition had about 700 GB,. Where can I see the free space. I cannot open partitionen GUI on desktop because there is no space left.
What can I do? Several things I tried went wrong. Can I only change LVM size with live cd?

Hope this can help you?

I treid this, but it did not help
http://linuxblackbook.blogspot.de/2013/09/volume-group-vgname-metadata-archive.html

hope youc an help. thank you

It looks like something about being out of space in / is causing your
problems with everything else. Find data that can be deleted from the
root filesystem (/) and delete it, for example under /tmp or /home in your
case. Once done, see if things behave better.

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Hi stefan_1304,

best bet would be to handle this offline - and I mean your server system, not the discussion :smiley:

So if you can, shut down the server and use some rescue boot of Linux (openSUSE via USB stick will work fine). Then all LVM operations will work, despite the full root FS (which then is no root fs, but just “some” FS :slight_smile: ).

As long as you have free extends in your VG, you then can simply “lvextend -L +xG /dev/system/root_lv” and “resize2fs /dev/system/root_lv” (assuming this is an Ext3 root fs).

The blackbook link you reference just handles the case that the lvm command fails because of a read-only target area… in your case, there simply isn’t enough free disk space. I’ve never tried “lvextend --force” under that condition… and you shouldn’t do so either, unsless you have a good backup.

But you might want to give the FS resize a try anyhow, in case the LV resize worked (despite the error message) and just the follow-up action (like writing a new backup of the current LVM metadata) failed.

Another word of advice: split off at least /var into a separate LV/FS, instead of simply increasing “/”. As you now have noticed, it’s crucial to have some “spare room” in rootfs. Don’t let increasing log files in /var/log or similar issues (like some application writing big or even endless amounts of data in /var/run) wreck your system integrity.

Regards,
Jens