harddisk names mixed after change of virtual SCSI controller

Hi,

I have changed the SCSI controller from LSI to PARAVIRTUAL for my VMware virtual machine. Now I have the problem that changing the controller has also changed the sd names of my harddisks.

I know that it was possible to define udev rules to configure persistent names. But I couldn’t find any information how I should identify an UUID in SLES11 SP3 to use it in the rules.

Any idea?

Thank you!
Achim

Hi Achim,

[QUOTE=A13923;21981]Hi,

I have changed the SCSI controller from LSI to PARAVIRTUAL for my VMware virtual machine. Now I have the problem that changing the controller has also changed the sd names of my harddisks.

I know that it was possible to define udev rules to configure persistent names. But I couldn’t find any information how I should identify an UUID in SLES11 SP3 to use it in the rules.

Any idea?

Thank you!
Achim[/QUOTE]

Hi Achim,

as such persistent names are already set up per default (albeit not as /dev/sd*), you might look into using names from i.e. /dev/disk/by-uuid (which makes the name persist to the uuid of the file system) or /dev/disk/by-label (persist to the label given to the file system).

Persisting to the hardware device would be possible, too (/dev/disk/by-path) - but as you changed just that, it wouldn’t have helped in your case :wink:

Regards,
Jens