how can I unroll/rollback yast2 online_update ?

Dear SLES-sers,

Last week I updated my SLES11 SP2 using yast2 online_update and after that I’m having a lot of troubles
(samba clients hangs browsing some dirs while before they never had any problem, yast2 online_update now hangs while zypper update works…).
Thus I’d like to “rollback” the system to the point it was a week ago.
I’have no idea how to do it, thus any help will be really apreciated.

Thanks a lot from Italy,
Emanuele

Kernel is 3.0.58-0.6.6-default #1 SMP Tue Feb 19 11:07:00 UTC 2013 (1576ecd) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hi Emanuele,

the safest way would be to use the backup from right before update… you do have a backup, don’t you? :wink:

I believe that the most intensive job would be to determine which packages were updated and especially at which level they were right before the update. /var/log/zypp/history lists all the updates that took place - but to know which packages was installed right before the update may be more problematic, as you may have skipped some updates of the same package before that last update.

You could then install the previous versions of the updated packages manually.

OTOH, it might be more fruitful (and easier) to get down to the kinks and knots of the current installation state and resolve the problems. From your description, it might even boil down to a single cause (hanging access to some resource), affecting all other subsystems. And it may well be that not the update is the cause, but some other (external) factor.

With regards,
Jens

Thanks Jens for your kind help.

I presume problems arise from the updating from 3.0.58-0.6.2.1 to 3.0.58-0.6.6.1
How can I revert to 3.0.58-0.6.2.1 ?

With regards,
Emanuele

Hi Emanuele,

[QUOTE=emanuele_lombardi;12802]Thanks Jens for your kind help.

I presume problems arise from the updating from 3.0.58-0.6.2.1 to 3.0.58-0.6.6.1
How can I revert to 3.0.58-0.6.2.1 ?

With regards,
Emanuele[/QUOTE]

depending on what kernel you have installed, you can downgrade these individually via "rpm -U --oldpackage ".

Usually, you will find two or more kernel RPMs installed, i.e. kernel-default and kernel-default-base. It would be best to check via “rpm -qa|grep 0.6.6.1” for all kernel packages related to the new version, then locate the according RPM files for 0.6.2.1.

If you don’t have the files at hand (i.e. from a local SMT server), you can also use “zypper” to install the according packet via download, i.e. “zypper in -f kernel-default=3.0.58-0.6.2.1 kernel-default-base=3.0.58-0.6.2.1”. Of course, replace the names with the actual package names to downgrade. I don’t know if “zypper” will resolve all dependencies when invoke with “-f”, so YMMV :o.

With regards,
Jens