Wasted SLES (and how to fix Yast and update)

3 years ago a company I’m working at have purchased and installed SLES 11 SP2 but never registered it. Now there’s a need to use this system but I can see that Yast is not working (its windows are empty). I’d want Yast to be fixed and update the system before developers start to work on it, but my Linux knowledge is not enough and the subscription is outdated (and the company isn’t going to renew it). Could you please help me in troubleshooting Yast and make it work?

Hi
Move to a later version of SLES, 11 SP3 or 4 or 12?

Else unless you renew the subscription (LTSS for SP2) you won’t get
updates so you would need to upgrade.

Put in the original install medium (from memory it uses the rug
command, maybe zypper?) and install packages as required using those
commands to search and install. If not using a GUI, then the ncurses
version of yast should be available.

Hmmm, if it was never registered on NCC, then it may still be valid,
but you would need to login to SCC https://scc.suse.com and manually
activate and see if it’s ok.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel
3.12.44-52.10-default If you find this post helpful and are logged into
the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star
below… Thanks!

SCC says it’s installed on 0 systems but it also says that subscription is expired.
I’d try to activate it in Yast but it’s dysfunctional, text-mode Yast is empty too (only borders are visible).
There’s a service on this server which must remain online as it is - I’d rather not reinstall it to a newer version (unless it’s an upgrade procedure? I guess that Yast must be fixed before anyway?).

[QUOTE=achlebek;29601]SCC says it’s installed on 0 systems but it also says that subscription is expired.
I’d try to activate it in Yast but it’s dysfunctional, text-mode Yast is empty too (only borders are visible).
There’s a service on this server which must remain online as it is - I’d rather not reinstall it to a newer version (unless it’s an upgrade procedure? I guess that Yast must be fixed before anyway?).[/QUOTE]
Hi
Well you can run yast with options, but sounds like nothing is installed (as in yast modules)?

You can see via;

yast -l

Yes you can upgrade through the service packs, but if no subscription to updates, bit of a done deal.

Hopefully this system is not internet facing?

Hi achlebek,

as the license is actually expired and you’d update the system anyhow - go follow Malcolm’s advice and download SLES11SP4 (or even SLES12) installation media and upgrade (or completely re-install) the system. Unless, of course, there are other users on the system that rely on SLES11SP2 (which is out of support regular since Feb. 2014).

Regards,
Jens

Yes, yast -l returns “No modules installed”. How can I bring it to a fully usable state?
Would an upgrade to 12 leave configuration of current services intact?

Hi
You should be able to search for packages?

zypper se yast

You may need the install medium present…

If you need a download link, should be able to locate one for you.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel
3.12.44-52.10-default If you find this post helpful and are logged into
the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star
below… Thanks!