How to Configure Rancher Data Persistence with Vultr Block Storage

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of setting up a cluster on Vultr and planning to install Rancher on it. I have some concerns regarding the persistence of Rancher’s configurations and state, especially in scenarios where a node in the cluster might be destroyed or fail.

1. How can I ensure the persistence of Rancher’s data in such events? I’m interested in understanding the best practices for configuring Rancher to use block storage, particularly with Vultr infrastructure.

2. Additionally, I would like to know the recommended size for the block storage to efficiently handle the data needs of Rancher. What factors should I consider when determining the size, and are there any guidelines or common practices in this regard?

3. If anyone has experience with setting up a similar environment, insights on configuring the block storage and ensuring that Rancher’s data (like database and configuration files) is stored safely on it would be highly appreciated.

4. Lastly, any advice on setting up a robust backup and recovery strategy for Rancher in this setup would be beneficial.

Thank you in advance for your guidance and looking forward to your valuable suggestions!

Best regards,
Felinto

Hey, you can install the Rancher Backups helm chart provided by Rancher in their Apps catalog. You can backup and restore the Rancher application using that helm chart. So in case of disaster scenarios you can use this to restore your Rancher data. I would recommend testing this solution first in your env and then implement if it’s working properly.

For the cluster backup and restore I’d suggest you try some third party solutions like Kasten, Portworkx. I’ve had some bad experiences relying on their Disaster Recovery procedure for my RKE2 cluster in airgapped env.

1 Like