How to create a container?

Hi all,

I just started learning about Harvester and was wondering if it is possible to create containers. Currently I only see the option to create Virtual Machine.

Thank you.

1 Like

I am also totally new to orchestration and would like an answer to this question, have you learned anything?

I am guessing has something to do with deployment via kubernetes? Not sure which of the menu options most closely aligns with interfacing with kubernetes…

Harvester provides the Hyper-Converged Infrastructure to run on bare metal., meaning it creates one logical ‘pool’ out of multiple hardware servers with shared storage and compute. On top of that you can deploy Kubernetes clusters with Rancher.
There are two similar ways to do that: already have a separate server running Rancher, spin up a VM with Docker installed, or a Kubernetes cluster inside Harvester. Deploy Rancher on top of that.

From the Rancher UI you can add the Harvester nodes (servers) and manage them from one UI. See: Rancher integration - Harvester - Open Source Hyperconverged Infrastructure (harvesterhci.io).
Within Rancher you create a new Kubernetes cluster and define the number of nodes (VM’s) to deploy - should be at least 3. This results in a Kubernetes cluster where you can then deploy Pods (a little ‘shell’ around a container), using the Rancher App store or your own Helm charts.

Of course, you can also just create a few VM’s in Rancher, install Docker in it and run your containers with docker run or docker-compose, but that would completely defeat the added value of Harvester and Rancher.