ifup and ifstatus on eth3 removes default gateway on eth0

I have a SLES 11 SP3 appliance with multiple NICs. I have configured eth1 as DHCP and it receives an address and default gateway from the DHCP server. I then configure eth2 with a static IP address. When I run

# ifup eth2

the default gateway route for eth1 is removed and replaced with one for eth2. Very strange behavior. I need the default gateway route to remain unchanged when I bring any other interface up.

Here is it’s configuration for eth1 [FONT=Courier New]/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0:[/FONT]

BOOTPROTO='dhcp' IPADDR='' PREFIXLEN='' STARTMODE='auto' NAME='Ethernet Controller' DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes' PRIMARY_NIC='yes'

Note the [FONT=Courier New]DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE[/FONT] which is supposed to protect the default route.

Here is the configuration for eth2

BOOTPROTO='static' IPADDR='10.10.81.194' PREFIXLEN='24' STARTMODE='auto' NAME='Ethernet Controller'

Thank you for any insight you can provide

Hi jayvi,

is there any entry in your /etc/sysconfig/network/routes file?

Regards,
Jens

Hi jayvi,

I forgot to comment on

[QUOTE=jayvi;27695]Note the [FONT=Courier New]DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE[/FONT] which is supposed to protect the default route.

Here is the configuration for eth2

[CODE]BOOTPROTO=‘static’
[…][(CODE]
[/QUOTE]

please note that the mentioned option relates to having more than a single interface configured to use DHCP - which is not what you’re having. "DHCLIENT_" options are, as the name implies, options handled by “dhclient”. eth2, in your case, is configured statically, so no dhclient there and no handling of DHCLIENT_ options…

Regards,
Jens

I had problems with multiple nics and resolved them with information from this document.
Document ID:
Applying SLES 11 SP 1 Causing Communication Issues