Install GRUB SLES 10 SP1

Hello All,
I’m running SLES 10 SP1 and it boots to grub> . If I do find /boot/grub/stage1 I get file not found. If I do a root (hd0,0) then setup (hd0,0) I get

Checking if “/boot/grub/stage1” exists… no
Checking if “/grub/stage1” exists… no

I’ve downloaded disc 1 of the SLES 10 SP1 and was wondering how’d I got about booting to it and installing grub from there?

Well I’ve found articles that detail how to boot from disc1 and get into rescue mode, but I’ve tried three different disc1, versions and each always boots upon server power on, but when I try to use the rescue system option I get “Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive.” If I eject the DVD then reinsert and click Enter it appears the system is trying to mount the disc, but then I get message "Unable to mount the CD-ROM. I really don’t think its a matter of the disc version, as I stumbled across a recovery disc from whence this server was stood up, but it yields the same messages when trying to get to the Rescue System. Any ideas on how I might get the CD-ROM to mount correctly? Thanks.

Hi
You need to burn to a CD, not a DVD? What program are you using to create the CD from iso image (did you check the md5 sum of the download?), suggest a linux machine and brasero. Also burn at the slowest possible speed.

Maybe you could look at setting up a temporary PXE system to boot from?

Maybe the hardware needs a cleaning cd through it?

I’m using Roxio to create the disc. I can try burning at the slowest speed. I’m not too familiar with a pre boot, but wouldn’t that require network? As it stands the server won’t boot up all the way and I’m unable to ping the device when it’s on.

Tomorrow I plan to try a different external CD/DVD ROM I have. Also, I don’t think I can burn to a CD. The ISO itself is like 693MB and a CD is 700MB. If I recall I got an error when I first tried burning the image on a CD.

Do you know of any Linux program that you speak of that I can I install on Windows XP (forgive me if that’s a stupid question).

[QUOTE=Cj12345;36803]I’m using Roxio to create the disc. I can try burning at the slowest speed. I’m not too familiar with a pre boot, but wouldn’t that require network? As it stands the server won’t boot up all the way and I’m unable to ping the device when it’s on.

Tomorrow I plan to try a different external CD/DVD ROM I have. Also, I don’t think I can burn to a CD. The ISO itself is like 693MB and a CD is 700MB. If I recall I got an error when I first tried burning the image on a CD.

Do you know of any Linux program that you speak of that I can I install on Windows XP (forgive me if that’s a stupid question).[/QUOTE]
Hi
It will fit on a normal CD (and the image is designed for this), it will fit on a 700MB it’s the MiB and MB differences… like disk drive sizes :wink:

OK, so the system doesn’t have an internal drive you can use, the reason it won’t find the USB device is no usb drivers… hence your error.

In rescue mode at grub options try adding the usb drivers, eg insmod=usb-storage

Okay. I’ll try CD and at lowest speed.

So best I recall USB Mass storage was loaded under loaded driver modules. I’m not at the console right now so forgive me if my verbage is off. So if I were to select the USB storage module and input that syntax that’s what you’re recommending?

[QUOTE=Cj12345;36805]Okay. I’ll try CD and at lowest speed.

So best I recall USB Mass storage was loaded under loaded driver modules. I’m not at the console right now so forgive me if my verbage is off. So if I were to select the USB storage module and input that syntax that’s what you’re recommending?[/QUOTE]
Hi
Yes, or in the rescue part select modules to load, then if you can go back and add at grub, a better chance of them all being loaded and running when grub hands off to the temporary system.

Thanks Malcolm for all the help. What worked was the other external cd/dvd rom drive I had. The disc booted up and was mounted no problem.

Now as far as GRUB I’m almost to the point of giving up. I’ve ran into error after error and I’m at the point now where I’m going to reinstall the OS and application.

Thanks again.