Max video resolution 1024x768 on HP 350 G9 after SP3 Patch

SLES11 SP3 x86_64 installation on HP ML350 G9 allows for 1280x1024 16-bit color with no trouble. Monitor is HP E271i. G9 has Matrox G200eh embedded video. Everything working fine until update the SP3 installation with SP3 Patch DVD from Jan 2015. After patch installation and reboot, no video. Running sax2 from command line and accepting recommended settings yields 1024x768 24-bit color. Sax2 will accept no changes to resolution or color depth. When starting sax2 get popup: “Invalid color/resolution combination. The selected resolution and/or color settings are not supoprted by the graphics cards framebuffer.”

Anyone know how to fix this (without reinstalling and skipping the patches or adding a new video card)? If an add-in video card is the only solution, anyone know of a video card that will work at 1280x1024 16-bit color with the current xorg?

Hi
Did you add the -r and -m 0=mga when running sax2?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.32-33-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I didn’t try that originally. When I try it now (sax2 -r -m 0=mga) sax lets me change resolutions but every setting fails when Testing them, even 1024x768. If I save this setting and restart x I have no video. Have to run sax2 from command line and accept the ‘recommendation’ to get video back - this ‘recommendation’ is 1024x768 with 24-bit color and works.

If I first switch to run level 3, then run sax2 -r -m 0=mga, sax cannot start. Sax.log shows: MGA(0): Could not retrieve video BIOS! MGA(0): Unable to detect video RAM.
UnloadModule: “mga”
UnloadModule: “vgahw”
Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

This server configured with UEFI and Secure Boot, if that matters.

init 3, then
sax2 -r -m 0=fbdev
results in video that works exactly as after the SP3 patches were installed - can only use 1024x768 24-bit color and get the popups about resolution/color combination not supported.

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa → yields no video and V_BIOS addr 0x0 out of range

Hi
I wonder if it has to do with secure boot and kernel signing keys
(They may require re-enrollment into your system). If you manually try
to load the mga module, does it work?

modprobe mga

I will try that. Thanks. I just switched to Legacy Bios and booted from an earlier installation (created with Legacy Bios), installed SP3 Patches (Jan 2015) on that install and it works no trouble. After boot, resolution remains 1280x1024. Will switch back to UEFI and post results of loading mga.

mga seems to load - I didn’t check first and there was no output from modprobe, but lsmod does show:
drm 295103 3 mga,ttm, drm_kms_helper

sax2 -r -m 0=mga still gives errors. Xorg.99.log contains the same errors as before and one a couple I didn’t notice:
failed to load freetype, module does not exist
Unable to map BAR 0. Operation not permitted (1)

Looks like UEFI is the culprit, but what to do about it?

It is strange how hardware config shows ILO4 as the Monitor Device on my UEFI system:

• – Display
    • iLO4
      Bus ID: 1

On this same G9 built with Legacy Bios, hwconfig shows:

• – Display
    • G200 eH
      Bus ID: 1

last post is a little messed up. It is not Monitor Device, it is “Display”. On UEFI system, when expanded, the first item shown is iLO4. After Display, FrameBuffer: No is displayed.
With Legacy Bios, this is different. Expanding “Display” yields G200 eh. After Display is FrameBuffer and FrameBuffer Device. There is no ‘No’ after FrameBuffer.

Hi
Is there some setting in the BIOS to set the primary display device,
maybe somethings get changed when flipping from UEFI to Legacy.

Sounds like it may be time to open an SR if you can, may be a signing
issue with the mga driver and secure boot.

Hi,
Only BIOS video setting I have found on the G9 is for choosing the combination of embedded and add-in video card you want to display. I have no add-in card (yet) so it is set to Auto. I changed this to ‘embedded only’ but no change. I still don’t like "ilo4’ being listed as the display device, so I disabled ilo via bios setting. This also changed nothing with respect to the video. I agree it is time for an SR - I will communicate my findings with colleagues in Poing,Germany who hold our contract. Thanks for your assistance.
Steve