Moving windows around on SLED 11 SP2 with Nvidia drivers

Hi all,

I am running SLED 11 SP2 x86-64 on a laptop with an Nvidia Quadro FX 2700M graphics card using the proprietary Nvidia drivers v304.88 from the SLED update repository.

My questions:

1. What is the recommended way to configure the screen setup?
    i) Using nvidia-settings
    ii) Control Centre => Display
    iii) Control Centre => Graphics Card and Monitor

I’ve assumed (i) for now.

1. I have two monitors setup as TwinView and want to be able to drag a maximised window from one monitor to the other and have it snap into that screen. When I try and drag the window doesn’t move however. How can I enable this?

2. I would also like to be able to drag windows to the side of one monitor and have the window automatically occupy one half of the screen. How can I enable this?

Many thanks!

Can’t comment on the monitor questions as I only have the one monitor.

I’ve looked in to this before but haven’t found a working solution. There is a Compiz(*) plugin called Grid which is included by default in version of Compiz later than the one which is included in SLED 11. I haven’t been able to make it build from source on SLED 11. There is also some scripts someone’s written but I couldn’t figure out how to use them. The instructions say “System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager. Go to the command section.” So that’s CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm) and in SLED 11 ‘the command section’ is actually a tab in General Options. Where I got stuck is when the instructions say “Finally, go to the edge bindings tab.” because I can’t find that anywhere in the version of Compiz which is included in SLED 11.

• If you enable Desktop Effects (Look in Control Centre) what you are actually doing is switching the window manager from metacity to compiz. If you disable Desktop Effects you’re switching the window manager from compiz to metacity.