Multipath Suse 11 SP4

Hello, I installed Suse 11 SP4 on our servers and update until 09/22/15.

Once installed and configured, we find the following problem with the multipath package.

When we run the script rescan-scsi-bus.sh to identify new discs delivered via FC, letters of devices sda, sdb, sdc … are changed, causing the OS between read-only.

Has anyone experienced this problem and / or reported to the Suse?

As a solution I copied the script from another Suse 11 SP3, give it worked.

Comparing the two script, I noticed that has enough difference between the two codes.

I believe you are probably just experiencing a timing issue, and this
thread addresses that properly:

http://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?t=6863

“Disks change their names after update on SLES 12”

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Hi jorgevisentini,

When we run the script rescan-scsi-bus.sh to identify new discs delivered via FC, letters of devices sda, sdb, sdc … are changed, causing the OS between read-only.

did I understand it correctly that the disk device names change while the disks are actually in use? And that the file-systems mounted from these devices are then read-only (because the FS detected that the back-end device vanished)? This would be a serious problem I believe needs to be looked at.

Could you please fetch and post the syslog messages that appear during the rescan-scsi-bus.sh run, so we might have a chance to see if something obvious is going on? Running rescan-scsi-bus.sh with an added “-d” parameter (to enable debugging) and providing the complete output (invocation + resulting messages) might be helpful, too.

Regards,
Jens