Mysterious SLES license

Hello, in one of the companies I serve IT support for, I came upon a sealed envelope with SLES license in it. It says:
SUSE LES 1-32 Sockets 3 yr Subs EN
There’s an IBM part number: 48153RU-01
It looks quite aged.

How can I find out for what SLES version it is? Or if it is in any way limited (for a certain brand of servers for example)? It would be great if it could activate SLES 12 on company’s Dell server!

Hi achlebek,

It would be great if it could activate SLES 12 on company’s Dell server!

Go for it - the envelope will likely contain a key that you can activate in SCC, and then use to register the SLES12 server.

Please keep in mind that I’m no SUSE employee - above comes from my experience. There’s a slight chance for license conditions that contradict a legal use on the Dell hardware, but that will be for IBM to tell.

Regards,
Jens

On 03/07/2016 02:04 AM, achlebek wrote:[color=blue]

Hello, in one of the companies I serve IT support for, I came upon a
sealed envelope with SLES license in it. It says:
SUSE LES 1-32 Sockets 3 yr Subs EN
There’s an IBM part number: 48153RU-01
It looks quite aged.

How can I find out for what SLES version it is? Or if it is in any way
limited (for a certain brand of servers for example)? It would be great
if it could activate SLES 12 on company’s Dell server!

[/color]

SLES is SLES, maint subs are independent of version. My guess is that that the
3year term will begin when entered. YMMV

I think (maybe) that the only weird ones were for VMware where the subs were
specifically tied to maint that came through a “special” tree for VMware.

Thanks for the info, I assume that it’s OK to use it then …unless there’s a way to contact SUSE officials before having a registered subscription? Sales?

Hi achlebek,

If you have no contradicting evidence (like license restrictions printed on the packaging of the license key, just go for it and try to activate the key in SCC. You’ll immediately see the activation status (should be 3 yrs from time of activation) and you’ll be able to register the server install with the key.

If SCC rejects the key, you know it won’t work.

Regards,
Jens

Yes it is OK, thank you :smiley: