New SLES installation NIC/Internet configuration problem

I am installing SLES 11 sp2 on a new server behind a router. If I designate the server NIC card as a static ip I have no internet access. If I change configuration to DHCP, then I get limited internet access on the server through foxfire to the router setup, google, msn, etc, but not to novell or SUSE. Also, when I install OES add ons for eDirectory with the dynamic setting, I get error that the ip address is dynamic and configuration fails. So, I change NIC back to static ip but then get an error when trying to extend the schema that the network card is not configured.

Hi
If a static ip are you adding the gateway router address and also the
DNS servers you using. Are you on IPv4 or IPv6?

This is the wrong forum for OES… you need to post over in the Novell
forums for those questions.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
up 1 day 8:01, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

IPv4, IPv6 disabled. I am using the router address (192.168.1.1) as the gateway. DNS’s of 206.130.130 (and .133).2 which are the same two as in the router.

My reference to the OES problem was for information purposes. I get the same internet connection problems when I install SLES 11 sp2 with or without installing OES 11 addon products. So, this tells me I am doing something wrong (Operator Error) in my SLES installation that is giving me a bad NIC configuration. To make sure I am getting clean installs, I re-partition the HD before trying a new install using the expert selection. Makes no difference, same error.

Thanks for any help.

johnb

Hi John,

could you please show the output of “ip addr”, “netstat -rn” and “cat /etc/resolv.conf” both when you have configured your static address and when you have configured DHCP? That way a plausibility check of your static parameters is made possible.

Regards,
Jens

Hi there, I was wondering if there was a fix found for this problem because I am having the same problem after I changed the router in my network. The Internet was working perfectly prior to changing the router. I have Suse 11.2 on an IBM xseries 346. Every Google seearch I find that is the same problem as mine is a dead end much like this thread, so I was wondering why does nobody post the fix for this problem. Any help would be appreciated because I don’t want to reinstall the system which is about where I am right now. Thanks

Hi
You would be better of starting a new thread with your issue…

Can you post the output of;

lspci -nnk | grep -A3 Ethernet
ip addr
netstat -rn
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/SuSE-release