OracleasmLib interfear with SUSE shutdown

Software: Oracle 11gR2 oracleasmLib SUSE Linux Server 11.

Without installation of the oraclasm, the SUSE Linux 11 starts/reboots smoothly. Now, after installed oracleasmlib, I encountered the following weird situation:

When I issues oracleasm exit command,

A black screen appears and displays a long list of info. At its final pause, displays:

Saving dump using makedumpfile
Copying data: [1%] It keeps change to → 2% → … 100%.

When it reaches the 100%, the system reboot.

Now, , I try to reboot/shutdown the OS. The same thing happens, that is,

A black screen appears and displays a long list of info. At its final pause, displays:

Saving dump using makedumpfile
Copying data: [1%] It keeps change to → 2% → … 100%.

When it reaches the 100%, the system reboot.

Now, I remove the installed oracleasmLib, everything returns to normal, I can reboot and shutdown as usual.

This happens only after I installed the oracleasmLib. At this point, I can not shutdown the machine, because the above described cycle just keep going.

What could be wrong? How could I fix it? And, how could the oracleasm interferes with the OS?

Hi
That would be because the command your running is doing it’s job as in
“Saving dump using makedumpfile” before it reboots, sounds normal to me.

From the man page;

DESCRIPTION
-----------

The `exit` command unloads, if possible, the Oracle ASMLib driver after
shutting down the MANAGER device.  The shutdown may fail if the manager
device is in use.  The unload will only happen after all manager devices
are shut down.

The manager device is considered to be in use if there are still
instantiated disks.  The disks can be dropped with
linkoracleasm:oracleasm-dropdisks[8].

https://oss.oracle.com/projects/oracleasm-support/src/trunk/documents/oracleasm-exit.txt

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.34-0.7-default
up 4 days 13:15, 3 users, load average: 0.27, 0.23, 0.23
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

This thing happened even when I tried to shutdown the machine. Right after the said process, instead of shutdown the machine, it turned to reboot the machine to its original state. Then I shutdown button again, the cycle starts again. It never allow me to shutdown. So I have to everytime shut it down forcefully (press the power button). Some thing is still not right there.

Hi
OK, what are the BIOS settings for ACPI, might be set to reboot rather
than shutdown. If that doesn’t work, try disabling acpi via the grub
options.

acpi=off

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.34-0.7-default
up 4 days 14:30, 3 users, load average: 0.66, 0.47, 0.43
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

If I set the ACPI to shutdown, will I still be able to do the warm rebooting?

To issue acpi=off, I’ll login as root, then acpi=off, should I export the acpi?

If I set acpi=off, then I decide to resume to its original, how can I do it ? acpi=on then export?

I contacted tech support, this is what they said (for reference):

Not a problem. The acronym ACPI pretty much doesn’t get used anymore, having been replaced with everyday language instead. So in your BIOS, there’s a section for Power. The OS Power and Hardware Power Management items in that menu are both part of the ACPI system.

So the HP BIOS doesn’t actually have an accessible command to determine what the computer does when you tell it to shut down. Since you recently installed some software, it wouldn’t hurt to restore the BIOS defaults first, and see if that resolves the issue. The software may have affected a change in the BIOS unintentionally.

OS power is for how the Power Management acts inside the Operating system, from CPU throttling to Idle power saving settings. The Hardware specifically deals with allowing things like the SATA drives to rest during idle sessions.

There are additional power options in Advanced, accounting for the varied ways a computer can be woken up, however it doesn’t seem that they relate to the issue you’re having.

That’s just it, there isn’t a setting you can adjust for that specific function. If it was working before the program was installed, but not after, then a setting has been altered. I don’t have a way of knowing what setting was changed. Perhaps the software leaves the unit always thinking it’s supposed to be on. I would access the BIOS (F10 during startup) and use the “Default Setup” option under the File menu to Restore the factory default settings. IF the program changed something in the way the unit powers down or wakes back up, that should undo that change.

At worst, you may have to go to the Advanced menu in the bios, and disable the various wake-up (power on) options, to keep it from thinking it needs to be active.

It is also possible that this is not a BIOS (hardware) level issue. This issue could be related to a setting in Windows, or a corruption of the operating system.