OS Boot fail after GLIBC downgrading

Good day, dear masters

please advice correct reciept to reanimate (fix) events\actions on SLES 11 SP4 server:

1. GLIBC and other tools autouptated after OpenSUSE mapping repository to v.GLIBC_2.14
  2. NFS Server stopped working properly, for axample SAP B1 installer checks NFS restart (result: NFS service restart fail) in preinstall script for ./install SAP B1 BackUp Service
    dmapd running
    mountd unused
    statd unused
    nfsd Unused
  3. Downgrade GLIBC and GLIBC devel pack from 2.14 to 2.4 version compatible from SLES 11 sp4 CD repository by Yast
  4. boot info
    -bash: /lib64/libc.so.6 missing, version GLIBC2.14 not found (required gor /lib64/libncurses.so.5)
    -bash: /lib64/libc.so.6 missing, version GLIBC2.14 not found (required gor /lib64/libntinfo.so.5)
  5. most services crash and system failure to boot full state including strart services

Hi avishnevskyi,

please advice correct reciept to reanimate (fix) events\actions on SLES 11 SP4 server:

1. GLIBC and other tools autouptated after OpenSUSE mapping repository to v.GLIBC_2.14

reinstall recent backup.

If no backup is available, make sure the admin in charge knows that a backup is essential. And then prepare for some work:

• make a full backup of the (broken) machine
  • boot in some maintenance mode (probably even from separate boot media)
  • remove any non-SLES repositories
  • try a “zypper dup” run, to replace all non-SLES packages by SLES versions where available
  • try a reboot

Be prepared for extra work after that, and for more questions in case above doesn’t fully work out.

Regards,
J

Good day, mr. jmozdzen

If You or some one has such expirience to boot from SLES CD as recovery, please share step by step cuz Im a newbee for that ops.
And I think it is a need to mount root partitions for that, Im afreid I donn know how to do it…

Hi avishnevskyi,

[QUOTE=avishnevskyi;54576]Good day, mr. jmozdzen

If You or some one has such expirience to boot from SLES CD as recovery, please share step by step cuz Im a newbee for that ops.
And I think it is a need to mount root partitions for that, Im afreid I donn know how to do it…[/QUOTE]

I’m afraid that the task or recovering your server is for experienced admins only, as there are many pitfalls on the way and many problems that may (and will) hide around the next corner. While I could give you step-by-step instructions for several of the tasks, you’d still need to know what you’re doing so that you won’t corrupt your server installation more than it currently is. And as it is highly dependent on the current state of the installation, it’d be a back-and-forth of questions/answers here, making it a very lengthy tasks because of the “forum-added delay”.

Depending on the importance of the server’s contents, may I suggest to hire an experienced admin/supporter/consultant to recover your server?

With regards,
J