Password protect "More Applications" and "Control Center"

Hi,

Running SLED 11sp3 on a Wyse thin client.

I am trying to lockdown a “Thin Client” device. YaST is currently password protected. I want to only allow “root” to be able to access “More Applications” and “Control Center”.
How do I remove/password these applications or menu options. The user will only be able to access items that are on the desktop.

Regards
John

‘Control Centre’ invokes /usr/bin/gnome-control-center and ‘More Applications’ invokes /usr/bin/application-browser so you could take away read/execute for non-root users on those files. You can of course manually change but you can do it in a way which gives you a list of permission you’ve customised that you can refer to/modify later by specifying permissions for those files in /etc/permissions.local. After you modify permissions.local you need to run

$ SuSEconfig --module permissions

You can also remove the relevant icons from the Slab menu. You can remove ‘Control Centre’ icon by editing the file /usr/share/gnome-main-menu/system-items.xbel and you could remove ‘More Applications’ button by editing /usr/share/gnome-main-menu/slab-window.glade. Find the block which reads

<child> <widget class="GtkButton" id="more-applications-button"> <property name="visible">True</property> <property name="can_focus">True</property> <property name="label" translatable="yes">More Applications...</property> <property name="use_underline">True</property> <property name="relief">GTK_RELIEF_NORMAL</property> <property name="focus_on_click">False</property> </widget> </child>
and either wrap it in HTML comment tags or delete it. You can test the change without logging out and in again by forcing a reload of the the Slab with

$ killall gnome-panel

See also Hacking on the Slab This may also be of use: Easy Running of Scripts at Boot and Shutdown