Possibilities from the mail server

Hi There,

At our school there is a project that needs a mailserver for about 1½ years. We have a licences voor SLES and so I want to use this.
I need a mailserver for about 10 users that has access through webmail and has imap possibilities.
Does SLES 11.2 does have a mailserver with this possibilities our do I need other software?

Thanks,

Marcel

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 18:04:02 +0000, marceldejager wrote:
[color=blue]

Does SLES 11.2 does have a mailserver with this possibilities our do I
need other software?[/color]

Assuming you mean SLES 11 SP2 here.

Dovecot provides the iMan functionality, and IIRC is included. For
webmail - you might see if squirrelmail is included or available. http://
software.opensuse.org/search (do an advanced search and select the
relevant SLE release - don’t let the name fool you, SLE software is
available there).

Jim

Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Hi Marcel,

another possibility would be to use Cyrus IMAP as the mail store. You’ll have to deal with Postfix as the MTA, too, no matter whether Dovecot or Cyrus is used.

If you’d like to have a full-blown web client with calendar support and much, much more, there’d be “Horde” that can be downloaded via “pear”. IMO, Horde is much more powerful than Squirrelmail, but can take it’s time doing the initial configuration - SM is much easier in that regard.

How skilled are you in these areas (MTA/MUA/MySQL/Apache administration)?

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=marceldejager;5489]At our school there is a project that needs a mailserver for about 1½ years. We have a licences voor SLES and so I want to use this.
I need a mailserver for about 10 users that has access through webmail and has imap possibilities.
Does SLES 11.2 does have a mailserver with this possibilities our do I need other software?
[/QUOTE]
I expect to see a lot of following questions here. :slight_smile:
What do you really know about this? If near to nothing, expect to need a few month before everything is up and running (depends on what you want to achieve in detail.).

First: Buy a book and read the basics. Like “The Book of Postfix”, the german version is newer.

Second: Decide what software do you want to use and how. Search for installation/configuration howtos and do so.

Third: Come back, if you have questions about the details.