PPTP VPN SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 client

I need help I have contacted pptp tunnel sap server client .my vpn working fine but when they disconnect I need to auto reconnect to pptp connection in opensuse in client side please help me I very upset on this problem I see a lot of documents but still no help please help me thanks….i m using SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit)

djsalman143 Wrote in message:
[color=blue]

I need help I have contacted pptp tunnel sap server client .my vpn
working fine but when they disconnect I need to auto reconnect to pptp
connection in opensuse in client side please help me I very upset on
this problem I see a lot of documents but still no help please help me
thanks?.i m using SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit)[/color]

I’m afraid I don’t understand the above so perhaps you could try
explaining your issue in more detail.

You’ve also referenced several things which contradict each other

• “sap server”, “opensuse”, and “SUSE Linux Enterprise 12” (which
    doesn’t match the SLES12 SP2 prefix you chose when posting via
    the web forum).

HTH.

Simon Flood
SUSE Knowledge Partner

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

@smflood i m using SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit) for as a client i m using pptp tunnel vpn . i just need help my vpn SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 connected fine to the vpn server but after few hour they disconnect …i need to auto redial when they disconnect Auto Reconnect VPN on Disconnection due to any reason… i hope you understand what i saying .please help

still nobody can help me 1 week gone

I see that this is the first time you have posted to the SUSE forums.

Please note that we are volunteers who try to help each other. We are not SUSE employees. We try to help as best we can but we may not be able to provide a solution for every issue.

If no one has answered you it is likely that no one has a solution. You may want to open a Service Request directly with SUSE.

Simon replied to your post but you did not answer him. Before we can help we have to understand what your issue is. I also find your explanation confusing. Please help us understand.

[LIST]
[]You want to use a VPN to connect your client to your server, yes?
[
]Your server is SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit) SP2, yes?
[]You are using an openSUSE client, yes?
[
]You are running SAP on your server, yes?
[/LIST]

We need more information before we can identify the problem.

Please run this command on your server and post the information it displays using CODE tags as I have done here:

cat /etc/*release

Please run this command on your client and post the information it displays using CODE tags as I have done here:

cat /etc/*release

Note: to access CODE tags click on the “Go Advanced” button below the reply window. That will provide additional formatting options. Click on the [SIZE=3]#[/SIZE] at the top of the reply window then paste your information between the tags.

Hi Kevin,

Below are the answers.

You want to use a VPN to connect your client to your server.

We are using PPTP VPN Windows 2016 Server. Our VPN is working fine. But we only need to configure auto reconnect vpn in SUSE Linux as Client whenever it disconnects for any reason. It should be reconnect automatically.

[B]Your server is SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit) SP2, [/B]                 
          No, Our Server is SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit) SP4.

[B]You are using an openSUSE client. [/B]                                           
       Yes  Suse linux enterprise 12 sp04 as a client.

[B]You are running SAP on your server.[/B]      
        Yes         

Here is your command result.

linux-y600:~ # cat /etc/*release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 (x86_64)
VERSION = 12
PATCHLEVEL = 4

This file is deprecated and will be removed in a future service pack or release.

Please check /etc/os-release for details about this release.

NAME=“SLES”
VERSION=“12-SP4”
VERSION_ID=“12.4”
PRETTY_NAME=“SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP4”
ID=“sles”
ANSI_COLOR=“0;32”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:suse:sles:12:sp4”
linux-y600:~ #

Regards,
Salman

@KBOYLE here is simple snapshot i Hopeyou better understand…what am saying

[QUOTE=djsalman143;56404]Hi Kevin,

Below are the answers.

You want to use a VPN to connect your client to your server.

We are using PPTP VPN Windows 2016 Server. Our VPN is working fine. But we only need to configure auto reconnect vpn in SUSE Linux as Client whenever it disconnects for any reason. It should be reconnect automatically.[/QUOTE]Hi Salman,
I now understand what you are trying to do!

[QUOTE]Your server is SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit) SP2,
No, Our Server is SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit) SP4.[/QUOTE]When you created your first post, the prefix you used was “[COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Arial]SLES 12 SP2”. That is why we assumed “SP2”.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE]You are using an openSUSE client.
Yes Suse linux enterprise 12 sp04 as a client.[/QUOTE]There is still some confusion here:

[LIST]
[]You are using SLES12 SP4. That is SUSE’s Enterprise OS.
[
]openSUSE is another group of SUSE products, not to be confused with the Enterprise products.
[/LIST]
Are you saying that you have installed an openSUSE package on your SLES12 server?

There are different types of VPNs used for different purposes:

When you need to connect a workstation to a remote network to perform a task you would open a VPN connection using a VPN client installed on the workstation. When the work is done, the VPN connection is terminated. The VPN connection can sometimes be terminated if there is a period of inactivity or if the workstation goes to sleep.

From the diagram in your other post, it appears that you want to connect your Netherlands site to your Norway site and you want that connection to remain open all the time. This type of VPN is called a Site-to-Site VPN. When properly setup it is able to use redundant Internet connections to maintain your VPN connection should there be a failure with your primary connection at either end. There is lots of information available if you do an Internet search for “Site-to-Site VPN”.

I have setup Site-to-Site VPNs and they work very well but I have not configured one between SLES and a Windows server. If this is what you want to accomplish, please tell us. There are many knowledgeable people monitoring these forums who can help you find an appropriate solution.

Hi [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]Salman,

[/FONT][/COLOR]OpenVPN is a popular VPN.

I’m not suggesting it is the solution you need but their site provides some interesting examples of some Site-to-Site VPNs that may work for you.
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/COLOR]Site-to-Site Layer 2 Bridging Using OpenVPN Access Server and a Linux Gateway Client

Site-to-site routing explained in detail[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

@KBOYLE hi

can i install openvpn client in suse linux if yes? is it have option to auto redials rasdial system ? how to install.? and i need just auto redial rasdial system…still vpn working fine they connect to the vpn server but when they disconnect again reconnect manul i need auto .or can i ad script or bash file something like to auto redial vpn .https://github.com/johanneszab/vpn-auto-reconnect.sh please visit this script can i add this one like that in suse linux ?

djsalman143 wrote:
[color=blue]

@KBOYLE hi

can i install openvpn client in suse linux if yes? is it have option
to auto redials rasdial system ? how to install.? and i need just auto
redial rasdial system…still vpn working fine they connect to the
vpn server but when they disconnect again reconnect manul i need auto
.or can i ad script or bash file something like to auto redial vpn
.https://github.com/johanneszab/vpn-auto-reconnect.sh please visit
this script can i add this one like that in suse linux ?[/color]

Hi Salman,

As the systems administrator it is up to you to decide which solution
is best for you. We can offer suggestions and try to answer specific
questions about SUSE products. We are unable to provide detailed
instructions about installation, even for SUSE products. That’s what
the SUSE documentation is for.

Based on the information you provided I recommend you look at a
Site-to-Site VPN. Choosing the best one for your situation is not
something we can do.

There are many products available:

• some are commercial products
  • some are open source
  • some are appliances
  • some require software to be installed on your servers

You need to do some research:

• find out what products are available
  • read the documentation
  • talk to the vendor
  • decide what is the best solution for you

Perhaps it would be easier for you if you hired a consultant to help
with this process?

If you still want to use your original solution then I suggest you open
a Service Request with SUSE technical support who can help you
troubleshoot your problem and suggest a solution.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
Thank you.

NetworkManager-VPN-plugins like RPM NetworkManager-openconnect (for Cisco AnyConnect VPN), NetworkManager-openvpn (for OpenVPN) or NetworkManager-pptp (PPTP) are designed for “time limited dial-in VPN tunnels” (=> RAS).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_access_service

You should replace PPTP with a secure, “always-on” VPN tunnel solution. I recommend IKEv2/IPSec. StrongSwan is an official supported IKEv2/IPSec-VPN-Client and IKev2/IPSec-VPN-Server for SLE12.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StrongSwan

https://strongswan.org/

I recommend a Site-to-Site VPN (=> vpn endpoints on two network devices). Before you configure a vpn endpoint for IKEv2/IPSec, read the vpn configuration recommendations in BSI TR-02102-3:
https://www.bsi.bund.de/EN/Publications/TechnicalGuidelines/tr02102/tr02102_node.html

And for Windows Server:
https://geekdudes.wordpress.com/2017/01/24/deploying-vpn-server-on-windows-server-2016/