Printer, printer setup, multifunction printer, HP laserjet

[QUOTE=hcp_dk;37369]Hi Kevin,

I did these nmap from SLES (inside). I can do it from outside too - later, with both setups (external open ports and internal) [/QUOTE]

The firewall normally doesn’t block outgoing traffic but it is supposed to block all incoming traffic. To allow access to certain services on your system, you configure your firewall to open specific ports to incoming traffic. To find what ports are open, you run nmap from outside your system.
[LIST]
[]To find what ports are open on SLES you would run nmap on your SLED system and scan your SLES system.
[
]To find what ports are open on SLED you would run nmap on your SLES system and scan your SLED system.
[/LIST]

They may not have anything to do directly with the firewall but most programs have dependencies on other modules and libraries. By installing packages from unsupported repositories you may have changed other modules needed by SLE which could result in strange behaviors like the ones you are experiencing…

[QUOTE]But there is something myth with this firewall.

SUSE service has been a half a day on SLES tried a lot (remote). Now they opened a bug. But as you said, there is a point regarding firewall.
Let’s collect data.
I’m now off for a week - in Denver CO.
I have my SLED laptop with me.[/QUOTE]

If SUSE support is working on this we should wait to see what they find. Why don’t you report back after they finish?

[QUOTE=hcp_dk;37370]Yes, USB print work.

As we figured out before: It is a problem of network and HP specific.[/QUOTE]

In a previous post you said you couldn’t print from SLES to the HP printer. I wanted to confirm that it wasn’t a driver issue on your SLES system.

Let’s wait to see what SUSE support can find.

After some work from SUSE and via Forum regarding CUPS and Firewall, some spend time we found out, the print job lose lot of data. I could print from Windows out of KVM - but even here it took some time and I lost data.
Since hardware was new, the last weak point seems to be the printer.
Update Firmware:
Update Firmware is always a risk.

• download firmware from HP and unpack on your PC
  • on your browser type IP adress of printer and go into printer.
  • update firmware via LAN
    After update of Firmware, the printer works very fast and fine.

BUT: the HP printers do NOT work without HPLIPS.
Printer NEED to be installed via HPLIPS. This demands all interfaces on internal. After installation, interfaces might be on external again.
The print still works.

Hi Kevin,

as you can see, after some intense work an analysis of files and data and logs I updated firmware and the printer works well. The HPLIPS installtion is a litle bit tricky but possible.

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination.

In a very early post you said:

Then you said:

[QUOTE][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]I can print[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]- via USB[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]- via Windows in a KVM virtual box !![/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]- on Dell printer[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]- sometimes - randomly it happens[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Conclusion: If you can print from Windows, then the printer is okay.

Once you realized you do have errors when you print from Windows, that suggests there is an issue with the printer.

[QUOTE]
Since hardware was new, the last weak point seems to be the printer.
Update Firmware:
Update Firmware is always a risk.

• download firmware from HP and unpack on your PC
  • on your browser type IP adress of printer and go into printer.
  • update firmware via LAN
    After update of Firmware, the printer works very fast and fine.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. I’m glad the new firmware resolved your issue!

[QUOTE]
BUT: the HP printers do NOT work without HPLIPS.
Printer NEED to be installed via HPLIPS. [/QUOTE]

You knew this in the beginning.

HPLIP requires that certain ports are open. You tried to open the ports but did not configure your firewall correctly. That’s why it didn’t work.

No! The required ports need to be open.

Assigning an interface to the Internal zone allows all traffic. No ports are blocked. All ports are open.

The right way to do this is to assign the interface to the External zone and make sure the correct ports are open. This way your system remains protected and you can print.

[QUOTE]After installation, interfaces might be on external again.
The print still works.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would be a good idea to do that!

I’m glad you finally identified the problem and got your printer working. Thank you for updating this thread so others reading it will also have the solution.