Private message from malcolmlewis

[QUOTE=jmozdzen]Hi Malcolm,

https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?9500-Can-t-install-SLES-11-SP4-on-NVME-disk&p=38095#post38095

While your question on the package always failing does sound reasonable, to me the screen shot looks the output from recreating the init environment, where the script could not determine the module required to support the NVMe root device. From my assumption, rerunning the installation would always fail at that same package, but only because it’s the first to add elements to the init environment and any other such package (especially the kernel package or any other package providing modules that may be required during boot) will likely cause the same error.

Does that sound plausible?

Regards,
J[/QUOTE]
Hi
If one could see the other part of the screenshot, since I see ‘updating’ the bootloader at this point if the rpm post install script has failed, in my past experience failed rpm installs have always lead to a) a faulty download not passing md5sum and/or b) if using DVD media not burnt at the slowest possible speed to the media. Also note that /dev/nvme1n1p2 is mounted fine as / on ext3 filesystem. If the module doesn’t work, it would/could not have mounted this partition or done any installation…?

Another option is to pop into a vt and see if it’s loaded in the output from lsmod, or modprobe nvme.

From the Intel nvme information, it can be an issue if the device is not partitioned at the start of the disk (which I’m assuming the /boot partition is /dev/nvme1n1p1) would be interesting to see the fdisk output as well if the user boots to rescue mode.