problem with module freetype

Hello all,

we have around 150 SLED 11 SP2 maschines here and all of them have a problem to render some fonts on the intranet.
Some searches brought the following problem to hand:

in the Xorg.0.log we have

(II) LoadModule: “freetype”
(WW) Warning, couldn’t open module freetype
(II) UnloadModule: “freetype”
(EE) Failed to load module “freetype” (module does not exist, 0)

but if I ask zypper for freetype I got

S | Name | Zusammenfassung | Typ
–±--------------------------±--------------------------------------------------------------------±-----
i | freetype | TrueType Font Engine | Paket
i | freetype-32bit | TrueType Font Engine | Paket
i | freetype-tools | Bundled Tests, Demos and Tools for FreeType (Needed for CJK-LaTeX) | Paket
i | freetype2 | A TrueType Font Library | Paket
i | freetype2-32bit | A TrueType Font Library | Paket
i | freetype2-devel | Development environment for the freetype2 TrueType font library | Paket
i | freetype2-devel-32bit | Development environment for the freetype2 TrueType font library | Paket
i | perl-Font-FreeType | Read font files and render glyphs from Perl using FreeType2 | Paket
i | sdksp2-CL-freetype2-7232 | Security update for freetype2 | Patch
i | sledsp2-CL-freetype2-7232 | Security update for freetype2 | Patch

What’s happened here?
Freetype is installed but the module can’t be loaded because it’s not there?

Has anyone any idea?

Thank you.

Hi xorge_01,

Freetype is installed but the module can’t be loaded because it’s not there?

If I remember correctly, there is no need for a separate freetype module in X11 for quite some time now… so the error message is misleading (and probably caused by a statement in xorg.conf, trying to load that module).

So the source of the rendering problem may very well still be in the dark :confused:

Regards,
Jens

I also ink the error is misleading as it appears in the log on my own machine and two others I looked at all of which render fonts fine as far as I can see.

OP - what exactly do you mean when by ‘problem to render some fonts’? Are some characters not displayed? Are all characters displayed but they look ugly, like jagged rather than smooth? Or something else?

You say the fonts are ‘on the intranet’ which I assume indicates they’re on webpages and you’re using Firefox to view them. If that’s right, do you have the KDE we browser installed and if so what do the fonts look like in that?

Can you post a screenshot, or a link to a webpage where you see the problem?

The error is not caused by a statement in the xorg.conf.
It looks like the X-server tries to load the module on itself.

I thought that maybe the module is in the system, but not where the X-server looks for modules - but I don’t know it.