Problems with first-time boot.

Hi all.
Yesterday i had turned on my HP ProBook 4540s for the first time. Well, it took a half an hour for suse linux to be prepared for its first launch. However, for some reasons, when i selected suse linux 11 to be loaded from menu, i saw then a full-screen advertisement’s presentation of HP products and i haven’t any clue what to do next as i haven’t seen any progress bar or something like that. So this presentation was repeating for times and i decided to reboot a notebook.
So then i saw GRUB console, which apparently wanted me to configure him manually and after that to be loaded.

Unfortunately, i wasn’t able to load suse.
i had entered these commands:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz- root=/dev/sda
initrd /boot/initrd-
load

After that, grub was interrupted by Kernel panic, whic stated that it “cannot open root device or unknown-block…”

When i’d entered “cat /boot/grub/device.map”, grub showed me something like this:
“(hd0) /dev/sda”

So, such a root exists and is correctly specified.
What i’m doing wrong? Is the problem related to uncompleted installation? Maybe i’m supposed to recover it from the very beginning? If so, how exactly it must be done?

I will appreciate any suggestion.

Hello,
I have the same notebook with preinstalled SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP2 (Probook 4540s). Unfortunately You shouldn’t reboot notebook before the presentation will end. There was some information on presentation like “Do not turn of laptop before end … etc” but quite hard to read.
But there are some good information - Your notebook has a recovery image created (I think successful) on one of partition on Yours hard drive. I recommend to start whole process again - to do this, on the boot screen press “Escape” key (when You see HP logo) and choose option like “Recovery …” probably F4 button.

Sorry for my language.