Rancher release tags: what is stable vs latest?

The latest 1.3.0 announcement mentioned a latest vs a stable docker tag. Since both of these tags are going to be moving between versions separate from these docs from being updated, is there a place we can see what these tags currently point to?

Also, the latest announcement didn’t mention what is currently stable – where does this point to today? Thanks!

1 Like

While this isn’t fool-proof, the trick I use is to go to the tags page and find the versioned image that is the same size and was uploaded around the same time.

At the time of this writing, it appears that stable == v1.2.2 and latest == v1.3.0

If you want to be sure, you could always pull them and compare the ids.

1 Like

There are a couple of places that show what’s stable vs. latest.

1 Like

Thanks @denise @duck1123

Denise, just a quick thought – I think the verbiage “Latest Release” is generally seen to imply “Latest Stable Release for production” for most projects with docker version tags I’m familiar with.

I know this is subjective, but maybe something like “Latest [Development|Experimental|Beta] Release” and “Latest Stable Release” front and center might make this clearer. I would have completely missed the stable vs latest point if I didn’t read the full set of release notes.

Thanks again!

1 Like

In addition, until just a couple weeks ago, the Rancher documentation said that :latest is the stable release. If users don’t take care or if they forgot to update their scripts, they’ll be running the latest development release. I almost missed this when updating from Rancher 1.2.0 to 1.2.2.

See Rancher Docs: Installing Rancher Server (Single Node) and the 1.2 docs, which say to use :latest .

The rancher/server:latest tag will be our stable release builds,

and

On the Linux machine with Docker installed, the command to start Rancher is simple.

$ sudo docker run -d --restart=unless-stopped -p 8080:8080 rancher/server