Re: SLED 11 SP2. When and what?

31.08.2011 7:06, halflitra пишет:[color=blue]

Hi all !
Any news regarding SLE 11 SP2 ?

[/color]
When will finally be released SP2?

svalx;2171049 Wrote:[color=blue]

When will finally be released SP2?[/color]

Only Novell know. They don’t announce release dates in advance.

In my experience SLED releases happen at the same time as SLES releases
and there’s some discussion of SLES 11 SP2 release date here
http://forums.novell.com/suse/suse-product-discussion-forums/suse-linux-enterprise/suse-linux-enterprise-server-sles/sles-updates/450672-sles11-sp2-release-date.html

mikewillis

mikewillis’s Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=7510
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=434637

openSUSE build service has included SLE_11 SP2 repository in their list.

In an article, 7010225: Software repositories in SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Service Pack 2 as of Feb 29
Environment includes SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 Service Pack 2

Also, “With the release of SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) 11 Service Pack (SP) 2, a new maintenance model has been introduced.
To support this SLE 11 maintenance model (SLE11MM) some new software repositories have been set up.”

The SLE11MM affects the following products :, al SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop

Could SLED gurus explain, how does this effect SLED11 SP1?
Can we already add new repository to our YaST repos?

Thanks

LLiner

It seems it has already been in place for the second day!

I’m suppose I opened Novell pages during some technical routine
with temporary interruptions. The Novell questionnaire even asked
if there were problems today in connection.

As for release notes Version 11.2.22 (2012-02-15):

Can some one explain, why in some places it contains reference to SLES11 SP2:

“7.2.1. Open-iSCSI Support Added to the QLogic iSCSI qla4xxx Driver
Open-iSCSI support is added to the QLogic iSCSI qla4xxx driver in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Service Pack 2”

Firmware Download: The latest Firmware package for 3.0.2.2 bna driver can be found at: http://www.brocade.com/services-support/drivers-downloads/adapters/Linux.page and then click following respective util package link: Version Link v3.0.2.0 Linux Adapter Firmware package for RHEL 6.2, SLES 11SP2"

What next, what does it mean that Novell mentions 60-day evaluation period for the new pack?

Do this also concern the migration from SLED SP1?

Thanks

[QUOTE=LLiner;2741]openSUSE build service has included SLE_11 SP2 repository in their list.

In an article, 7010225: Software repositories in SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Service Pack 2 as of Feb 29
Environment includes SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 Service Pack 2

Also, “With the release of SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) 11 Service Pack (SP) 2, a new maintenance model has been introduced.
To support this SLE 11 maintenance model (SLE11MM) some new software repositories have been set up.”

The SLE11MM affects the following products :, al SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop

Could SLED gurus explain, how does this effect SLED11 SP1?
Can we already add new repository to our YaST repos?

Thanks

LLiner[/QUOTE]

It seems SP-2 is not ready yet for migration.

What are the signs?

But iso image is already downloadable, and Sled_11 SP2 Release notes were issued as of 15 Feb 2012.

However for me still remains unclear, as I have no migration practice, will it be free of charge, or some
maintenance fees are required? I could not find a way out in the Novell web pages
describing the new pack and relevant company policies.

There is documentation about updating to SP2 but I’m not linking it now because the method described didn’t work when I tried it. You may need to just wait a few days for things to shake out. I’ll post if I find out anything more (if Malcolm doesn’t beat me to it :slight_smile: )

SLED license given you maintenance updates for a period of time so that would cover an update to SP2.

There are instructions in SLED11 SP2 Release notes (RN) and the Deployment Guide. (I think nobody will beat me to it :)). Two methods described refere to online upgrade. At the same time, 6.2.4. RN stipulates that “Online migration from SP1 to SP2 is not supported, if debuginfo packages are installed.”

May I ask you, what do you normally do if such packages are present in your system(s)?

Is it also right that there is no upgrade option from a previously downloaded SP2 .iso disk? In case debuginfo packages are not uninstallable.

Thank you.

[QUOTE=LLiner;2853]There are instructions in SLED11 SP2 Release notes (RN) and the Deployment Guide. (I think nobody will beat me to it :)). Two methods described refere to online upgrade.
[/QUOTE]
The info in the release notes is rather sparse, for example it tells you to add repos but doesn’t give you any hint on how to work out what to add. I’m aware that in the deployment guide that’s online there are methods for updating using zypper and wagon. Unfortunately the zypper method says SLES where one would expect to see SLED and makes references to SP2 Pool repos (which don’t exist) and the wagon method does not currently achieve anything. There is some discussion of this going on behind the scenes.

Personally I’ve never had cause to install debug packages so the issue has never arisen. The obvious thing to do would be to simply uninstall the debug packages before updating. If you still need them, re-install them again after a successful update.

I can’t see a documented method of doing that. But I would imagine that if you were to add the SP2 iso as a repository and then run ‘zypper dup’ that would probably have the desired effect. I’ve not tried that though and I wouldn’t recommend it. You’d still have to get the SP2 Updates repo set up somehow.

mikewillis wrote:
[color=blue]

The info in the release notes is rather sparse, for example it tells
you to add repos but doesn’t give you any hint on how to work out what
to add. I’m aware that in the deployment guide that’s online there are
methods for updating using zypper and wagon. Unfortunately the zypper
method says SLES where one would expect to see SLED and makes references
to SP2 Pool repos (which don’t exist) and the wagon method does not
currently achieve anything. There is some discussion of this going on
behind the scenes.[/color]

This is interessting. Two persons here spent hours trying to find out what’s
going wrong. Since we are quite new to SLED we thougt we’re doing something
wrong… Do I understand this correctly: the methods for upgrading SLED 11
SP1 to SLED 11 SP2 with zypper and yast simply do not work? So the only
available method is an offline upgrade from the dvd media? (Which in our
case broke the Novell Client… :frowning: )

Thanks,
Mirko

[QUOTE=Mirko Guldner;2962] So the only available method is an offline upgrade from the dvd media? (Which in our
case broke the Novell Client… :frowning: )

Thanks,
Mirko[/QUOTE]

By the way, this upgrade method is not explicitly stated in Novell guides and Release Notes!
At the same time, provided 60-day Evaluation period may be thought as U-turn in the Novell product upgrade policy.
I’m praying, if I am wrong.

I managed to upgrade to SP-2 only using DVD. No other methods worked.
And now just some first impressions.
The only positive thing I noticed is that a bug introduced by some update (it could be a February NetworkManager update) just before SP-2 release was fixed: it didn’t just bother me it was critical because I couldn’t have stable wifi connection.
None of other bugs which I had noticed were fixed. For instance, I still have to deliberately change font of a document before I start reading it to be sure I’ll be able to see all special characters if there are any. And there’re quite a number of others. I had to compile Ekiga, Inkscape, etc. myself to be sure I can use them and they work as they should but not as they do in SLED.
After upgrade I noticed that SDK repositories were removed, so I had to download SP-2 installation SDK image to add them again. Of course I had to add removed by upgrade Packman repository and several others. Several my packages were removed (I compiled and packaged them myself) so I had to install them again, but those, I hadn’t packaged and installed with
make install
were left untouched, so I assume It’s more safe to do this way in future.
No serious changes were made with this SP, the only one I noticed - the kernel, which is now 3.0.13-0.27, so the only new feature - btrfs. Though it’s doubtful whether it’s ready for a production system which provides high reliability. Are there any other new features? I haven’t noticed any.
This SP looks like an ordinary update, but which causes more issues than they usually do.

[QUOTE=AlexDudko;2966]I managed to upgrade to SP-2 only using DVD. No other methods worked.
And now just some first impressions.
The only positive thing I noticed is that a bug introduced by some update (it could be a February NetworkManager update) just before SP-2 release was fixed: it didn’t just bother me it was critical because I couldn’t have stable wifi connection.
None of other bugs which I had noticed were fixed. For instance, I still have to deliberately change font of a document before I start reading it to be sure I’ll be able to see all special characters if there are any. And there’re quite a number of others. I had to compile Ekiga, Inkscape, etc. myself to be sure I can use them and they work as they should but not as they do in SLED.
After upgrade I noticed that SDK repositories were removed, so I had to download SP-2 installation SDK image to add them again. Of course I had to add removed by upgrade Packman repository and several others. Several my packages were removed (I compiled and packaged them myself) so I had to install them again, but those, I hadn’t packaged and installed with
make install
were left untouched, so I assume It’s more safe to do this way in future.
No serious changes were made with this SP, the only one I noticed - the kernel, which is now 3.0.13-0.27, so the only new feature - btrfs. Though it’s doubtful whether it’s ready for a production system which provides high reliability. Are there any other new features? I haven’t noticed any.
This SP looks like an ordinary update, but which causes more issues than they usually do.[/QUOTE]

At HP, we will allow automatically updates in a couple of months. This is not a big update on the Desktop side (Kernel apart). Most devices are now recognized though.
Have you referenced the defects on NCC ?

[QUOTE=LLiner;2964]
At the same time, provided 60-day Evaluation period may be thought as U-turn in the Novell product upgrade policy.
I’m praying, if I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

That’s the second time you’ve made reference to a 60-day evaluation but I’m afraid it’s not understanding what you concern is. The availability of a 60-day evaluation is not new. SLED has always been free to download along with a registration code that gets you updates for 60 days. If you buy a SLED license you get updates for the duration of your license.

Have you raise a Service Request about any of them? If not I encourage you to do so. I’ve raised Service Requests about bugs I’ve found in the past and updates have appeared to fix them. I’m not going to tell you that everything you report will get fixed, but they’re certainly more likely to be fixed than if they’re not reported.

I don’t think that’s true at all. It’s better to install stuff as an rpm than just running ‘make install’ and having it write files all over the place. If something is installed as a package you can easily find out what files are in that package and where they are. If you just run ‘make install’ it’s just writing a bunch of stuff and you aren’t necessarily sure what it wrote where and if you want to remove it you have to keep the source around so you can run ‘make uninstall’ and hope that actually reverses everything. Just because a bunch of files dumped in to the filesystem aren’t touch by a service pack update doesn’t mean that stuff will still work.

Well, it’s too complicated. It doesn’t accept my CID and I don’t want to lose money and call at one of the provided numbers. Though bug reporting in SLED is a nightmare as well, I’ve reported several. But it seemed developers didn’t even look at them.

Is the copy of SLED you’re using one that came with a HP computer?

[QUOTE=AlexDudko;3551]
Though bug reporting in SLED is a nightmare as well, I’ve reported several. But it seemed developers didn’t even look at them.[/QUOTE]
Do you have bug numbers? I’m very curious as to how you have reported bugs for SLED because before I got Knowledge Partner status I wasn’t able to even see bugs raised against SLED yet alone create a bug report against it. Unlike openSUSE, the SLE bugzilla isn’t open to all.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;3553]Is the copy of SLED you’re using one that came with a HP computer?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, it’s OEM HP.

Yes, but I still can report a problem about LibreOffice, for example, and some other products, included in SLED…

If I recall what’s been said about copies of SLED provided by HP on this forum in the past correctly (relevant threads didn’t make the move), then your support comes from HP not Novell/SUSE. That seems to be the case from what I can see in a non-public forum too. I’ll ask about it though because it’s an issue which seems to keep coming up.

[QUOTE=AlexDudko;3559]
Yes, but I still can report a problem about LibreOffice, for example, and some other products, included in SLED…[/QUOTE]
Yes you can do that, but if you’re doing so with the expectation of seeing imminent changes in SLED I’m afraid you’re being overly optimistic. If you report a bug to LibreOffice then you’re not going to see any change in SLED until the LibreOffice folks fixes the bug. There’s no knowing how long that could take and it has nothing to do with SLED. The LibreOffice project is an entirely separate entity. Once the bug’s fixed the change will probably make it’s way it’s way downstream in to the SLED packages but that will take an indeterminate amount of time.

Hi Alex,

I reported all the cases at HP support. I am pretty sure they were logged. Don’t hesitate to give me all the bugs that are still found in SLED so I will forward them to our HP support team.

I also found that SUSE support is hard to use. I was member of the SLED 11 SP2 beta testers, reporting issues was painful. Hopefully it will drastically improve.

Regards,

Arnaud

[QUOTE=AlexDudko;3559]Yes, it’s OEM HP.

Yes, but I still can report a problem about LibreOffice, for example, and some other products, included in SLED…[/QUOTE]