rmmode removes a module permanently ?

Hello,
via “rmmod module_name” I unload a kernel module. that kernel module is still available on its location (/lib/…). Do i need to remove(delete) that module from file system if I don’t want to load that module permanently ? or “rmmod -r module_name” or “modprobe -r module_name” removes the module permanently ? By permanently I meant to say persistent across reboot.

[QUOTE=sharfuddin;34644]Hello,
via “rmmod module_name” I unload a kernel module. that kernel module is still available on its location (/lib/…). Do i need to remove(delete) that module from file system if I don’t want to load that module permanently ? or “rmmod -r module_name” or “modprobe -r module_name” removes the module permanently ? By permanently I meant to say persistent across reboot.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried brokenmodules=yourmodule to your Kernel Command Line Parameter?

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/book_sle_admin/data/sec_grub2_yast2_config.html

Thomas

[QUOTE=thsundel;34645]Have you tried brokenmodules=yourmodule to your Kernel Command Line Parameter?

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/book_sle_admin/data/sec_grub2_yast2_config.html

Thomas[/QUOTE]

No, I’ll check it out, thanks.
So running “modprobe -r module_name” only unloads the module ? and upon reboot that module would be re-loaded if available on the file system(/lib/…) ?

Hi sharfuddin,

[QUOTE=sharfuddin;34646]No, I’ll check it out, thanks.
So running “modprobe -r module_name” only unloads the module ? and upon reboot that module would be re-loaded if available on the file system(/lib/…) ?[/QUOTE]

yes, “rmmod” and “insmod” (and “modprobe”) are run-time only. Most modules are loaded dynamically when needed to operate some detected device. Of course, there’s the chance automatisms fail, so you could create an entry in i.e. /etc/modules.d/99-local.conf

blacklist mudule_name to “disable” loading a module - see “man modprobe.conf”.
Removing a module, unless you installed it manually, is not the proper option as a system verification (i.e. a “rpm -V” on the package that provides that module) will fail, which typically leads to someone a) re-installing the RPM and hence providing the module file again, and b) scratching the head why that file went missing.

Regards,
J