Within the past week I am all of a sudden getting “Segmentation Fault” when I run zypper up.
If I disable all repositories, no problem.
I have tried various things:
zypper refresh-services -r OR zypper ref -s
Refreshing service ‘nu_novell_com’.
Since that should NEVER happen, I’d probably try to find the repo that
causes the problem and then go from there Is it always the nu_novell_com
one that causes the fault? What if you add a normal ISO or something and
refresh from there?
Any updates recently that may be linked to this?
Which SLES version/SP are you running? Any other similar boxes, and if so
do they have the same issue?
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…
I am running SLES 11 SP4. I do have another box running SLES 11 SP4 which is able to update without issue.
Other than standard updates the only thing I am doing with this box is prepping it to be my primary GroupWise server so I have made some mounted connections to run the migration tool.
It definitely is an issue with the repositories but I am going to admit that I am definitely new to this level of Linux system management so though I know what you mean, I am not necessarily up to speed on how to accomplish what you are suggesting and with what. If I disable all repositories ZYPPER UP runs fine and of course returns “Nothing to Do”
What alternate repository should I use besides nu_novell? I have seen where you can go in and add repositories, but I am not confident that I am setting them up properly.
suggestion #1: run “ldconfig” once, before further testing zypper commands.
[QUOTE=silentlenn;34753][…] If I disable all repositories ZYPPER UP runs fine and of course returns “Nothing to Do”
What alternate repository should I use besides nu_novell? I have seen where you can go in and add repositories, but I am not confident that I am setting them up properly.[/QUOTE]
suggestion #2, from ab: Don’t disable all repositories, but one-by-one to see if it’s a specific repos that causes the problem. Or re-enable one-by-one after disabling all.
As ab already said - this shouldn’t happen at all, especially not caused by repos configuration/content. The one instance I’ve had such dubious symptoms was after a partial system update that caused an inconsistently cached library setup - which the applications themselves could do nothing about. Hence my suggestion to run “ldconfig”, which regenerates that cache and links etc.
Yes, I had tried each of the 4 (that match my other functioning machine) repositories on their own. Eventually I took it down to none and tested.
Per your suggestion I took the following steps:
- enabled 1 repository
- ran LDCONFIG (I used lower case, but capped it here for clarity)
- ran zypper up
- segmentation fault
- repeated all steps for the next working repository per my other SLES SP4 machine
Too bad this didn’t work out.
Depending on how much of your own time you want to spend on hunting this down, you can either verify the installed packages (rpm -Vall) or possibly open a service request.