Single node docker container, Workload with Ingress guide issues

I have a bare metal server where I’d like to evaluate Rancher management and deployment on a small scale.

I’ve decided on installing Rancher on this server following the command from here: https://rancher.com/docs/rancher/v2.x/en/installation/other-installation-methods/single-node-docker/advanced/#running-rancher-rancher-and-rancher-rancher-agent-on-the-same-node

which is stated as:

docker run -d --restart=unless-stopped \
  -p 8080:80 -p 8443:443 \
  --privileged \
  rancher/rancher:latest

This is working just fine, I can connect to the management interface and poke around.

As a next step I wanted to try deploying a small service/app, and found the Quick Start guide: https://rancher.com/docs/rancher/v2.x/en/quick-start-guide/workload/quickstart-deploy-workload-ingress/

I have followed this guide a couple of times, as far as I can tell, to the letter. The Workload seem to work out just fine following the guide, the status is set to “Active” and I can connect to the container.

However, when I follow the steps of adding an Ingress Load Balancer, the status is set to “Initializing” and never changes no matter what I do.

What am I missing here?

2 Likes

@matrices Same issue here, did you manage to find a solution?

It might be something to do with conflicts with the Rancher UI own ingress that is already on the K3S cluster. Can someone confirm this limitation of the single node approach?

Has this been resolved in the last months, or is there a simple guide, how to achieve all the Ingress and LB scenario with their complexity in a dockerized Rancher instance (in its local cluster)?

same question here, just answering to keep getting updated!

in the between, I’ll go for a local LB as described here: Docker Install with TLS Termination at Layer-7 NGINX Load Balancer | Rancher Manager

I face the same problem. cannot expose the service out.

You probably misunderstand the guide. Node here does not mean k8s ndoe, but hw node. So you deploy rancher on port 8443 with the comandline mentioned above and then create a 1-node k8s cluster (e.g.with k3s from within this rancher install) on the same hardwee. The single node docker rancher install can not run any production(dev) workloads, just rancher.